Should I paint my kitchen cabinets they are oak now

RoNancy HawesHolly Kinchlea-Brown
+4

• Ebbjdl

Start by washing with Murphy's oil soap, to clean any grease or film on the wood, according to the directions on the bottle, dry completely. Next, use Wilbert's lemon oil on the cabinets, and this will protect the wood from drying out, and give it a nice shine. It will protect the wood also. Don't paint them, let the natural wood show through.
  • Adele DuranGO

Great advice from Ebbjdl... It is amazing how much better old cabinets look after a good cleaning first. Always should be your first choice in order to protect the factory coatings which last a lifetime or more. I also use Mr Clean erasers and green scouring pads and clean the notches with a safety blade. See my post on how I made my windows look new.
    In this post I also discuss how I brighten the old finish using a wash of pickling stain then coat over it. Altho with cabinets -- if you have the original factory finish -- it is meant to take your cleanings and bangs for a lifetime.
  • FL

That is your choice. Oak is beautiful and can easily be spiffed up t lok its best as the Ebbjdl writes about above. Painting them can give you an instant change in décor: dark color, light color or just anything different can be a nice change and relatively inexpensive. Good luck!
  • Fauxgal

Yes! You can!!!
    Oak has a grain that pretty much cannot be covered up without a LOT of work and a special product. But it is still beautiful with the grain showing.
    ***Don't use your kitchen while in process. OR use very, very lightly.
    So, start with cleaning them really well. I recommend TSP (use gloves), rinse well.
    Then electric sand them in the direction of the grain only. Clean that off.
    Then wipe them down with white rubbing alcohol.
    IF you want to be sure that the areas around your stove adhere well, then you can oil prime in those areas that may have picked up grease deep in the grain of the wood.
    Buy quality, soft, brushes that are made for acrylic paints.
    I recommend PPG/Porter Paints Advantage 900 paint, in semi-gloss sheen. It is very, very durable.
    Paint thin coats on, and let each coat dry overnight.
    Sand very lightly between each coat.
    In the end, once the color has built up sufficiently, you will not need to put a sealing poly coat on.
    Paint takes 30 days to fully cure. But you can resume using your kitchen after a week. (Make sure when you clean in the future, that you don't spray them with spray cleaners. Just gently clean with soap and water.
    IF your weather is wet for very long, then you will need even longer before you use it. Good Luck!

• Holly Kinchlea-Brown

Totally up to you...they paint well, but to do it right it is a lot of work....well worth it in the end to get an updated look without spending a ton of money. I chalk painted my kitchen cupboards, start to finish took about 2 weeks to get it done but only cost about 200.00
  • Nancy Hawes

Sand and put poly erthane on them.
  • Ro

I say go for it, have a plan and jump in