Pam Lane
Pam Lane
  • Milledgeville, GA

What will protect painted wood outdoors?

Random ChanceLisa S.Nancy Turner
+3

I'm experimenting with making dragonflies out of spindles and ceiling fan blades. See the picture for an in-progress shot (if you zoom in you can see his wiry little antennae). Before I add embellishments, I'd like to spray him with something to keep his paint from fading too much outdoors. Any suggestions - that won't change the paint colors and is a spray-on product?
q what will protect painted wood outdoors

Clear UV spray paint from Rustoleum
  • Tammy Jones

I would go to Lowes or Home Depot and use the exact same stains that they apply to wooden deck porches. they will gladly show you to some strong protective stains.
  • Kim

CUTE!!!!! There are many spray can clear coat products out there! I think that your best bet is a marine spar varnish. Read the cans to find the finish you want and to make sure it won’t yellow over time.
    I hope that helps
    : )
  • Nancy Turner

I use marine polyurethane for things that are outside, but I don't know if it would protect it from fading, so I would go with the stain as Tammy suggested and go with a finish they suggest that would be durable for being outside.
  • Lisa S.

I spray ,all my outside yard ornaments with clear protective spray - in the spray paint department. Will make them hold up a lot longer.
  • Random Chance

The Valspar brand is UV resistant, made for use on boats.