How to paint old barn wood for use inside

SJim CoxJanet Pizaro
+7

I would like to paint these white, then distress, these (3) wooden pieces for the wall. Do I need to remove all the existing barn paint first? I have sanded the surfaces to remove splinters, etc. The look I want is not quite this weathered. What is the best way to proceed?
q how to paint old barn wood for use inside

I think if you want your desired look the answer is obviousApply the white paint and then distress with the vinegar and steel wool method ,yes you need to remove the finish.
    • Linda Goree Betkie

Thank you Janet, for your response. I am not familiar with the vinegar and steel wool method of distressing. Do you suggest a clear sealer once it's done? Thank you again!
  • Teg31271377

I just apply paint then belt sand to desired look much easyer down !

• Jim Cox

I use a $4 wire welding brush to take down the paint to wood. Stop when you get the look you want. Works for turning old gray wood back to brown too : )

yes a clear non yellowing polycrylic
  • Jim Cox

An old gray piece of privacy fence (cut down to 1" wide)
    , just like I found it, after 30 seconds with a welding brush Stop when you like the color
  • S

If you want to keep the texture of the barn wood then use a flat applicator like the ones you use for stain. They also use some for paint. Anyway, Don't load too much paint on. Then skim over the top of the wood. All the texture underneath will still be there and not filled with paint like a roller or brush will do. I have used several layers of colors on one piece using this technique . It gives it an aged look also.