ESSENTIAL TIPS: HOW TO BUILD A TREEHOUSE YOUR KIDS WILL LOVE FOR YEARS

$250

I had a treehouse as a kid. I remember the day of its building, despite the fact that I was very young... I'm sure that it was actually built over a couple days and many of my remembrances about it are skewed by time, but the thing I remember most was the feeling of awe: "This is MY treehouse" - the idea that I was going to get a space to call my own was all that mattered. (Bedrooms don't count - you have to clean them and ask permission to put posters up).
I wanted to put one in our back yard for our kids, but we lacked decent trees to make it happen. Now that we have the Mobile Home Makeover weekend property, though, the dream of being a treehouse owner once again seems doable.
The main issue with treehouses isn't support strength - it's how much the tree trunk moves around in the wind. A small trunk moves a lot when a rainstorm blows through and your big, tough tree bolts will sheer off and drop your hard work to the ground in a pile of broken lumber.  
The Internet and current Treehouse boom have given us many great ideas and bits of hardware. You'll definitely want to utilize these!
[Looking for more great DIY tips?! Check this out!]
Spend some time in the spot where you plan to build, before you actually build it! Don't forget to click the link below for even more essentials for building the ultimate treehouse!

• Trees
  • Wood
  • Tree-house Fittings (Various)

FrugalFamilyTimes.com