I NEED a good solution to keep mice out for good!

+8
I live in the country. I have cleared shrubs & such from house. I have 8 various sizes of rescue dogs. I can't use poison, but it is a constant battle to keep the critters out of the house.

• Amanda Amanda on Oct 20, 2017
    HI Barbara. Mice don't like moth balls or peppermint oil. You could put these around the house. If they are a huge problem I would look for small areas where they are getting in and seal them off. I would also put traps out to get them under control. Cats are a great way also.
  • Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on Oct 20, 2017
    Check around your home and seal up any holes with steel wool and spray insulation
  • Ken Ken on Oct 20, 2017
    There is only one solution, good, bad, or indifferent. Only one. You have to seal the house so they have no opportunity to get in. There is nothing else because your government will not allow you to nuke 'em.

Those ultrasonic pest repellers do not work and it honestly surprises me that after all these years people keep buying them. Mice may not like mint, as was suggested here as a repellant, but that just means they won't eat it. I know that companies that take care of rodents for warehouses use bait traps outside but that is only useful to learn that there are mice in the area. Does not keep them out of your building.

I had a manufactured home in a mouse infested area and replace the skirting with solid walls along with sealing and more sealing. I actually purchased 50 tubes of silicone caulk for the project and did manage to completely block out the mice. It can be done. Of course the critters still ran wild in the garage.
  • Lis17877434 Lis17877434 on Oct 20, 2017
    I just bought 100% peppermint oil I put it on cotton balls in pantry and in doorways. I haven't seen any since.
  • Johnavallance82 Johnavallance82 on Oct 20, 2017
    What you need is a Cat or Cats..........
  • Elisa Tobia Elisa Tobia on Oct 20, 2017
    Ehrlich pest control folks stuff holes with copper mesh that’s sort of like a Brillo pad. They can’t eat through it.
  • Judy Judy on Oct 20, 2017
    Use mint oil, not extract. My husband grows mint and it has so many household uses. It's also good for spiders. You can Google and find out
    many uses. For mice I would say spray around the perimeter of the house.
  • Have a consult with a proper pest control company. They will perform a thorough inspection and provide suggestions on what to clear out and how to plug up the holes where they are entering. A mouse can squish its entire body through a hole the size of a dime. The pest control professional find and show you all those places you missed or didn't even know about.
  • Ebbjdl Ebbjdl on Oct 20, 2017
    Start with some hair from a cat, with some hair from brushing. If you don't have a cat, I'm sure someone you know has a cat. Next, get a few envelopes, put some cat hair in each, and seal it good. Now poke several small in the envelopes. Put these in your cabinets, in the back of where you either have food or pots and pans. The mice smell the cat hair, and they leave, and don't come back. Keep these envelopes where they are, and replace the hair every few months. There might be another family, that comes, but as soon as they smell the cat scent, their gone. No chemicals, no mice traps, and no expense. Good Luck! It's nice that you do rescue, my sister-in-law, does rescue also.

• Barb Barb on Oct 20, 2017
    Make sure that there are no cracks in your foundation. Repair those and that can help. Mice can get into your home through the smallest spaces. Have pots of mint growing around the house.
  • Anne Wingate Anne Wingate on Oct 20, 2017
    I disagree with Johnavallance82. When we had cats they hauled live mice indoors in late summer and early fall to stock their indoor winter hunting range. We used mousetraps baited with cheese. All the mice were named Elvis and whenever a mousetrap clicked my husband or I would say, "Elvis needs to leave the building." My husband would then remove the mouse and put it in the large outdoor trash can and return to say, "Elvis has left the building." Starting six months after the last cat bit the dust, we haven't had any more Elvises. (Elvis reference is from the movie Independence Day.)