Rosel Kynast
Rosel Kynast
  • Madison, WI

I inherited a almost dead orchid.

Janet PizaroMaggie CobeagaRosel Kynast
+3

The blossoms and the stems are dead, leafs are in healthy looking with one
new leafs growing. What do I do next ? Cut, re-pot or just wait and see what
will happen? The plant is from my granddaughters Dorm-Room.

• Genie

If the stems are completely dead, just cut them off. If you want it to bloom again, you must be patient; they bloom once or twice a year. I have mine in a south-facing bathroom with plenty of light. Don't over-water it. I just give mine a couple of tablespoons of water twice a week. (3X when it's hot out). If it grows new leaves, sometimes the bottom ones will die. just wait for them to shrivel and then gently pull them off.
  • Debbie King

I had one of these too. Cut off any dead stems or blooms, and wait, wait, wait. Mine took almost 2 years to bloom again, not sure why, but then it bloomed more often.
  • Olivia Morris

First of all it depends on the kind of orchid you have inherited. Orchids will teach you patience but there are things that you can do. I wrote a whole review on orchids and how to keep them happy. You will find that article right here:
  • Rosel Kynast

Olivia, thank you very much.
    I will post when the orchid is healthy again.
    Thanks also for posting the good tips.
    Rosel
  • Maggie Cobeaga

i have my orchids outside under a tree ,i don't do anything,except once a month is pray withaliquid that has vitamins ,they are doing beautifully