Eliesa @ Pinterest Addict
Eliesa @ Pinterest Addict
  • West Palm Beach, FL

Updating a Tired Kitchen by Painting Cabinets

Our kitchen was pretty dated, but we couldn't afford a complete makeover. The easiest way to update a kitchen is to paint it!
updating a tired kitchen by painting the cabinets, home decor, kitchen backsplash, kitchen cabinets, kitchen design, painting
I began by priming the cabinets using a good primer. Then I painted them, using a few thin coats of Sherwin Williams paint. I painted the base cabinets gray and the upper cabinets white.
The entire process took me a few days, as I also had to change out the door and drawer handles. For how the entire kitchen turned out, please head over to the blog.
We even painted the granite backsplash to brighten up the space - it used to be black! The entire process took me a few days, as I also had to change out the door and drawer handles. For how the entire kitchen turned out, please head over to the blog.

Eliesa @ Pinterest Addict

• Anne

Did you clean your cabinets 1st? and product did you use?

• Rose Broadway

She probably did. I always advise using Murphy's Soap. It's economical and works just as well as the expensive kits.
    • Kba27697237

Does it cut the grease? I always use a liquid sandpaper generously applied to de-gloss the surface.
    • Niki Snyder

Use tsp or simple green to clean cabinets, Murphy's oil soap and other cleaners can leave behind a residue which can make it difficult for the paint to adhere properly.

• Don27385767

What about cabinets that have a clear white plastic covering on them. Any suggestions on what to do to make them appear new again

• Marie

How about Avery light soft baby soft light red?
    • Sharon

I rehabed my son's kitchen which had the plastic like covering that had started to peel. I removed the plastic which came off fairly easily ( I used a hair dryer in areas that were a little bit stuck). What was left was a material like MDF. I repaired any ruff spots, primed, and painted everything. They are very happy with the results.

• Kathy Davis

To Sharon My cabinets are the same. Did you have to remove the plastic from the entire drawer/door or just around the edges?

• Susan Canha Anthony Lucas

Where are the pictures of the finished kitchen? All I see are before pictures.

• Tara Lynn

I would spray the pot holder black as well, but I might of kept the island all white at the top cabinets to keep it brighter but you did a great job.

• Merri

I love your kitchen! I just painted my counters black chalk paint an triple plus sealed them. Now I know what I am going to do with my cabnits. Thanks