What do you use to make your palletwood floor look shiny?

LandsharkinncMic31326662Nancy Turner
+14

We used Polyuth. but its not a nice thick glossy look like we were expecting. What do we use?

• Nancy Turner

Did you get the high gloss? Also you need to add layers to get the depth you are looking for. My dad used different amounts on different furniture, less on an antique desk and chair, more on the clawfoot dining room table. The table had numerous layers and it added a lot of depth to the piece, but he didn't use high gloss, it was more of a semi gloss. After about thirty years the finish still looks new.
    • Don30661044

yes, we used a high gloss. only one coat so far. I'm going
      home from work and add another layer.
  • Pallet wood will never achieve the same shine as prefinished hardwood. Different wood, different process. Did you sand between coats of poly?
  • Amanda

Hi Donna. You may need to do more coats to achieve the shine you want. Make sure to lightly sand between the coats. I usually put 4 coats on.
  • Landsharkinnc

should have used a 2 part epoxy finish -- like used on bars or counter tops -- but is VERY slippery when wet!
  • Amanda

You sand between the coats to remove any dust bumps or tiny bubbles, and also so the next coat has more surface area to bond to. Use a low grit sand paper. I have already done it only lightly sanding the any tiny dust bumps or bubbles and it turned out OK. Good Luck.
  • Nancy Turner

It may take a few coats to get a depth appearance, or two may be enough. Also the surface is very durable. I normally only have to use water to clean the furniture my dad finished with polyurethane, vs the ones he didn't that I have to use other stuff to keep it looking good. I bet your floors look good with the pallets down. I liked the pictures I have seen of pallet floors with all the different hues they are.
  • Mic31326662

you could stain it and then use a clear gloss. Or just use a colour gloss.but if you use just stain, you can keep polishing with beeswax.
  • Landsharkinnc

just keep adding layers of 'GLOSS' poly -- but sand between coats with high grid sand paper or 0000 steel wool -- will give 'bite' or 'purchase' for the new coating -- let cure several days between coats -- what may 'feel' dry really isn't !