Susan Lord
Susan Lord
  • Greer, SC

Recliners in need of help!

Susan LordLisa S.InspiraledHome
+5

I have 2 hand me down recliners that look terrible. I'm not sure if they are vinyl or leather. They are in great shape except the for the upholstery. Can they be painted and if so, what should I use? Thanks!

• Anne Wingate

I've read answers that tell you how to paint them, but I'd be leery of trying paint on an unknown surface. You can go online and search for slip covers, and they'd probably be your best bet. If you're young and healthy you can make the slip covers yourself. I'm old and feeble so that doesn't come to mind--my husband sleeps in his recliner for medical reasons, and it looks like it's been through the wars, although mine that was purchased at the same time still looks brand new. We're going to have to do something about them but he is highly resistant to the idea. Sigh.
    • Susan Lord

I understand old and feeble because I'm there, too! Thanks for your reply - I'll check out the slip covers.
  • InspiraledHome

I just painted two smaller vinyl covered lounge chairs. I just used tubes of acrylic paint that were 50 cents each at Walmart. So far I've had no problems, but I just painted them Saturday. My kids and dogs have been jumping and playing on them and it hasn't chipped or scratched at all yet. Seems pretty durable.
  • Lisa S.

Stretchy slipcovers. I would not spend much on them, as you can get them pretty cheap at garage sales / thrift shops - in decent condition.
  • Susan Lord

Thanks so much ! I'll definitely try your advice.