Hibiscus

Janet PizaroKaren KrysowatyNancy Turner
+1

I live in Northern Illinois, can a hibiscus plant be brought indoors and thrive.

• Nancy Turner

As long as it gets enough light, the same amount it was getting outside it will be fine. You may need a grow light if you don't have the amount of direct sun it had outside. Hibiscus don't like constant we feet, but indoors for the winter will be much dryer without the humidity, so monitor how quick it dries out. A moisture meter would help. Good luck with your hibiscus plant! I am bringing in five pots of hibiscus for the winter myself for the first time this year.
  • Karen Krysowaty

My Mother brought hers in every winter. She put it in her front window with plenty of light and misted and watered.

Re-pot in the next size container with fresh soil,spray the leaves with horticultural oil,bring inside and place in a very bright location,keep it moist at all times,after some time it will drop it leaves which is a normal process,during the winter months you could have spider mites,pay strict attention to any webbing and begin treatment.After you last expected frost date put it BACK OUSIDE STARTING IN THE SHADE AND GRADUALLY INCREASE THE LIGHT,RESUME FERTILIZER AFTER IT RE-ADJUSTS.