Lillie Yancey
Lillie Yancey
  • Tutorial Team
  • Maywood, IL

Ugly wooden floor underneath carpet

Lillie YanceyLynnLynn sheedy
+5

I had the carpet removed from my guest bedroom. I tried cleaning the floor, but lines from the carpet are still there. How do I get rid of the lines and clean the hardwood floor? I do not have a lot of money, so the cheapest way would be best for me.

Try a product called Rejuvenate for hardwood fllors
  • What "lines?" Carpet has no lines. Is it leftover from the carpet pad? Can you post a photo? I would use Bona products or a good wash with Murphy's Oil Soap and see how it turns out.
  • Roxaneg

Are the lines part of the carpeting such as the backing? Vacuum well and you can try a few things:

You could use Murphy's Oil soap or a soapy solution of dishwashing liquid and warm water and a scrub brush/ScotchBrite pad to remove the lines.

If that doesn't work, you can try one of those Magic Erasers. I get mine from the Dollar Store. They don't last as long as the Mr. Clean versions, but they do work.

If that doesn't work, you might need to use a solvent such as mineral spirits or a lubricant such as baby oil.
  • Diana Deiley

Not sure what you mean by lines but finding hardwood floors is like hitting a jackpot. Why not have the floors sanded and then polyurethaned to bring back the beauty. Nothing is perfect, so work with the imperfections and enjoy the natural wood. Best of luck.
  • Lynn sheedy

Call a professional
  • Lynn

Paint the floor!
    Use the lines in the design!
    Marine enamel paint after you've sanded the floors for safety.
  • Lillie Yancey

Will this take away the color on my hardwood floor?