Sue Pysher
Sue Pysher
  • Montgomery, PA

What's the best way to clean artificial plants' leaves?

Terry GriffinGinnyVictoria
+10

How can artificial plants be cleaned on a regular basis? Other than getting sprays that don't work very well, I'd like to know if anyone has any tips on how to clean artificial plants where the leaves get dusty. I haven't found anything that really works!!

• Sandra Allen

If they are plastic, fill a sink with dawn and hot water. Swish them around or soak for a half hour or so. If they are silk, this will help.

• Victoria

I use Endust on a tag on the leaves of my artificial plants on a regular basis. Several of my arrangements have flowers, which I swish in a sissy solution, then spray rinse and hang to dry. This works best with my plastic orchids, I would NOT try it with fabric flowers, as they will wilt or even disintegrate! I take these flowers outside and give them a good shake, hopefully getting any dust off the petals.
    • Sue Pysher

I just saw an article that hairspray can be used on fabric artificial plants! Have you heard of that? I'm going to try it! I'll try the Endust, too!
  • Barbara Baldwin

I take mine outside and pressure wash them
  • Emily

I only have one artificial plant, an ivy. I stick it in the sink and sprinkle d.w. detergent all over it and then give it a good spraying and hang outdoors.
  • Pg

Swish them upside down in soapy water. I use dish soap. Then rinse and dry in the sun. Do it on a day with sun and a breeze for quicker drying.
  • Carol

Canned air -- or any pressurized air and a soft cloth to remove what the air doesn't. Probably should be done outside if the plants are very dusty.
  • Fauxgal

I put mine in the shower and spray them down.
  • Big lulu

Take them outside and spray them with a hose. You might use a little spray bottle with liquid soap and water mixture to loosen the dust. Rinse with hose on shower setting.

This won't work on silk flowers.
  • Angel Ashmore

I was always told to put them in a pillow case with a damp cloth or dryer sheet if it’s notvto bad and tumble them for 5-10 mins on cool. I’ve kept mine looking like new for years doing this. I hope you get good results! �
  • Victoria

Hairdos leaves a sticky residue, and would attract dust rather than get rid of it. Sudsy water or endust on a rag works best
  • Ginny

A friend of mine sprays the leaves with mild solution of Dawn and warm water; rinse in the shower or outside with garden hose; shake well; put in the sun to dry on a nice sunny day.
  • Terry Griffin

There is a spray you can get at hardware stores that you spray on and then shake off.