Marilyn
Marilyn
  • Shell Knob, MO

Any solution for painting over 100% silicone caulk

Omah64Hillela G.Galen W. Yoder
+3

bought a place that has silicone caulk abound windows, obviously the owners didn't realize you cannot pain this,. Other than removal, anything I can put over it to be able to adhere paint? Thanks

• Kim

There is paintable caulking. I know that requires removal of the silicone but applying paintable caulk and painting it seems like less work than fighting with the silicone caulk that is currently there.
    I hope that helps
    : )
  • Galen W. Yoder

Sorry Marilyn, unfortunately, "silicone" caulking seems to be the equivalent to Duct tape for many dyir"s. As an experienced tradesman I avoid any silicone products,/caulking unless it will be used in an area never to be painted or seen visually on the surface of my project. There are so many Good caulking products now that are much easier to "tool", apply, and paint these days. Interior and exterior. Not many people read the fine print on the tubes. I know it sounds like a lot of work, but it looks to me as removal and thorough cleaning to remove all residue is your only option. I find a painters 5-way tool is the best go to tool for the job. After considerable use, I usually clean it," the 5-way", and use a flat hard surface with 150 - to 100 grit sand paper to re-suface the edge a bit. Good luck, be safe!
  • Galen W. Yoder

Answer this Hometalker's question re- surface
  • Omah64

Marilyn,
    I too came across this in my house when we bought it. My grandmother showed me something many years ago that i used on mine. Keep in mind how old the caulking has been there for this to work righ.
    I first took straight vinegar and wiped it clean and to make it more poris Spelling? lol), let it dry over night. Wipe clean with a cotton cloth to get any accumilated dust or debris from over night. Spray a light layer of a good but breathable hairspray. Take cake decorating pigment mix it with a dab of vinegar ( this makes it a little lighter so you can start light and go daker because the color is very consentrated), mix well, and let it sit while taking a cotton swab with vasaline and go around the surface you don't want the paint to adhere. take a small smong brush and dip in mixture and dab lightly on all caulking. let it dry, doesn't take too long. continue to do layers until u have the right shade that u want. once comletely dry seal with the hairspray or a spray type poly urathane. once all dry, use another cotton swab or cotton cloth the wipe away vasline. it last a very long time and if it ever fades, depending on how much sun it gets, u can add more to it without having to completely start over.
    ait sound like a lot of work, but it really is very easy and inexpensive compared to having to completely start from scratch, and a lot cheaper.
    I hope this helps and good luck.
    Stephanie M