A Faux Window Hides the Real Window

$15

We bought a house that has an alcove room that we call the Hobbit room  because it's such a small quirky space. Our granddaughter has claimed the room but we're still deciding what we want to do here.

The window is a bit problematic and as you can see it's more the type of window for a garage. It's an odd horizontal sliding window that is flush against the wall. I want to change it out for a more appropriate window at some point but for now I just wanted to hide it. Yet we needed light in the room sometimes. Sometimes you just need to think outside the box.
So my husband made a simple wood frame.

Very simple.
We painted the frame white to blend into the canvas print....
We chose a canvas like this that has faux windows opening onto a magical looking scene.
And attached the wood frame
Added hinges to the wall and framed canvas.
When shut the room is completely dark. Opening it slightly gives a bit of light.
Opening it more let's even more light in. It can be opened completely or shut tightly against the wall for darkness. It works well and is a nice quirky addition to the room.

3 Absolutely Adorable Ways To Display Your Plants
20 Easy Projects To Help You Get Ready For Easter
3 Easy Ways To Upgrade Your Pillows To A High End Look
15 Unconventional Ways To Use A Tomato Cage
Use Your Old Corks For These 25 Clever Ideas
Cuddling Up At Home With A Bottle Of Wine? Then Try These Projects!

• Carrie
    Carrie

This is beautiful! I have a tiny room where the cat litter box and craft supplies are stored. I don't care how it looks inside, but I wonder if this idea would work facing outward so no one can see in, as the window is at eye level and I don't want blinds or curtains in that room.

• Elizabeth
    Elizabeth

Looks great! The hinges idea are the icing on the cake. I would have never thought of using them.