MongDao Tran
MongDao Tran
  • Woodbridge, VA

About my driveway. Its cracked- how can I fix on a budget?

Chubby58Cindy Darsey ChadwellHolly Kinchlea-Brown
+4

My driveway is cracks and 1 side of driveway lower than the other side.You can see on first pic.I want fix it and fill it up.what can I do to fix that ?I want to fix it but I really don’t have much money .Can DIY show me how to fix but still can save money in my pocket.
q about my driveway
q about my driveway
  • Roxaneg

You can use a concrete patch that can fill in the cracks-- go to your local home center/hardware store for that. The bags are cheaper, usually, than the premixed kind. Follow the directions on the container. You'll need to buy a trowel or a putty knife to fix the cracks and use a bucket to mix the stuff. I wear rubber gloves that I can throw away when I use this stuff and a wooden stick to mix.

The best way to fix the lower portion of the driveway is to have it mud-jacked, but that can cost several hundred dollars. What you can do is use the concrete patch to build up a transition or ramp between the two sections.
  • Peter

First, I'd do the mud jacking... After the cause of sinking is determined.
    Using a 'skim coat' over the sunken concrete may result in slow and constant chipping of the top layer.
    No Matter What - SOAK the existing concrete before any patching... fresh concrete Requires(!) moisture to cure... applying it to dry concrete will suck moisture from the patch and defeat the repair.
  • Holly Kinchlea-Brown

Fill the cracks with an asphalt repair compound that you can purchase at your local building supply store, then use a driveway sealer over top. This won't level the driveway, but will look a lot better and should give you a couple of years breather before it has to be replaced completely
  • Chubby58

You can buy the liquid concrete in a bottle. I filled a crack on a front cement porch, then scraped the excess off, worked fine.