Asked on Oct 22, 2017

How do I, a 63 year old woman, put in an easy front sidewalk?



My sidewalk leading to the front door is nearly all gone. a few pieces of cement here and there, the rest is overgrown grass. :(

9 answers
  • Mary DeRose Petrino
    on Oct 22, 2017

    Budget??? Do you have healthy young man to help you?
  • Ken
    on Oct 22, 2017

    Your nearest home center will have an assortment of step stones to choose from. You should remove the sod and old pieces of concrete and put down sand or pea gravel first.
  • Liz
    on Oct 22, 2017

    Kill the grass, dig it out. fill in with crushed rock. Leaving the old cement pieces will give it character. Have fun! 🌴
  • Jean
    on Oct 22, 2017

    I was just reading this afternoon about rubber step stones at home depot! You would still need to kill the grass, and probably do a sand pebble base. But you wouldn't have to lift and position heavy step stones.
    I did a sand stone patio/ walkway at my house and it was challenge then 20 years ago. So I figure this may be good for us "seasoned citizens".
  • Dfm
    on Oct 22, 2017

    the rubber step stones I had tended to curl out side.
  • Emily
    on Oct 22, 2017

    If you own your house get a home equity loan and have it done professionally. It will increase the value of your home. If you don't own it your landlord should replace the sidewalk.

  • Ohiorn
    on Oct 22, 2017

    I've put in the rubber patio pavers. I got them at Menard's. We put them between our garage and fence with no problems. We sprayed for weeds, put down landscaping fabric and laid down a pebble base per Jean. They have lasted very well. We've also put them underneath the corners of the house so our lawn person doesn't accidentally hit the corner of the house. Your base needs to be level before you start anything.
  • Peter
    on Oct 22, 2017

    At your age you may have local assistance to senior homeowners.. either free / low cost services, or low cost loan programs.
    That said... is the sidewalk just covered in grass... or is it broken and physically Missing (truly Not there)? If the grass has overgrown it, hire a landscaper to remove the overgrowth with a spade.
    Other answers here refer to concrete quality... but first determine if rainwater drains properly, or contributes to the current condition.
  • Peter
    on Oct 22, 2017

    When I wrote 'local', I meant local government (town / county) assistance. Perhaps Habitat for Humanity or similar non-profits (see local church/synagogue for references) can help.
Your comment...