How do I work with old paned window with lead paint

DfmJoseph GlackinGinny
+7

I bought an old window at an antique shop with the intention of hanging it along with a wreath as decoration. But it tested positive for lead. The white paint still looks good but wanted to sand and distress it. How can I do this safely or do I have to have the paint removed completely?

• Dfm

personally I would have a professional furniture refinishing shops look at it. Some times you can seal it, but they should have the equipment to handle the lead paint.
    • Tanya Marks

Thanks for your advice. I paid $10 for a DIY project that I was hoping to only have to distress since the paint was in good shape. I hope to find a way to work with it myself, but may in the end have a professional do it  .
  • Ginny

I agree with Dfm. I wore a mask when steaming off paint yrs. ago that contained lead. This was long before the warnings were issued. Be careful.
    • Tanya Marks

Thanks for your response. Hope you don't have any issues from working with lead paint. I started to chip the paint off the glass, and stopped as soon as the thought of lead came to mind.
  • Joseph Glackin

Lead becomes a problem when it is disturbed. I worked on stained glass church windows, often over 100 years old. If it is one window, either seal it or strip it. You can strip it outside with plenty of air. Catch the old paint and dispose of thoughtfully. Wear protection when working around any dust or chemicals.
    • Joseph Glackin

I would lay a base coat over the paint, then distress that. After all, any house 50 yars old or more has lead paint in it. Use a sealing primer coat, and distress away.
  • Dfm

call a few refinish shops for thier advice... you might get away with using Vaseline as a resist agent for the paint...leaving a part of old finish showing
  • Dfm

i think it’s a matter of not breathing it in or getting on your clothes. If you have the proper garb. Or ppe ( personal protective equipment) as it’s known you might be able to do it your self. Talk with a pro ...they would know deal with it.
  • Dfm

talk with the pro’s....it may be just a matter of getting the right type of protective equipment. And where to dispose of the old paint.