Any budget friendly makeovers for Formica backsplash?

Judy ClarkAngelShoshana

My counters and the backsplash in my my kitchen are formica and I dislike the backsplash. It goes all the way to the base of the cabinets. Any ideas as to any easy fix that won't break the bank

• Shoshana

How about peel and stick tiles? They are so easy to use and usually well within budget.
  • Angel

I don't know if this will work for you, but in my bathroom I have formica counters. I live in an old mobile home, and they were, shall we say, ugly? Colors from the early seventies, think 'goldenrod'. Anyway, I went down to the hardware store and bought a can of that water based paint made especially for counter tops. I had to sand them very lightly then wash, rinse well, and let dry thoroughly. I painted them, and was very happy with how they looked. They've held up well for two years, but I must caution you; the paint can take from several days to a couple of weeks to cure to the point where setting things on it won't leave a mark or a ring. If it does, don't panic; just sand it down a little, wash, rinse and repaint the damaged area. To be on the safe side use heavy duty potholders or place mats if you must set things down on it, especially hot things.
  • Judy Clark

I helped a friend redo her kitchen and we used Contact paper on her back splash. There are so many pretty patterns out now and it has held up really well.

Good luck.