Asked on Oct 23, 2017

How do I widen the door opening of a load-bearing wall?



We converted a bedroom that is next to our kitchen into a dining room, and now we would like to remove part of the wall between that room and our living room. The wall is load-bearing, so we don't know what to do.

6 answers
  • Mfbandit769
    on Oct 23, 2017

    Consult a structural engineer or a qualified contractor
  • Hire a licensed contractor. Will need a new header for the larger opening. Other building codes will come into play. Get at least 3 bids and contract in writing.
  • Kathy Dart
    on Oct 23, 2017

    Agree, bc you need a beam put in to carry the load. ..
  • Barb
    on Oct 23, 2017

    Thats something for an engineer never mess with load bearing walls . If you do it the wrong way thinking it will stand think again .It will sag and crack after a while causing more damage than its worth to remove the wall in the first place.Someone could get hurt if it collapsed
  • Ang25959299
    on Oct 23, 2017

    Good answer can be disastrous if not done properly.
  • Margaret
    on Oct 24, 2017

    since it is load bearing I would definitely ask a professional
Your comment...