Redoux Interiors
Redoux Interiors
  • Brentwood, CA

How to Paint Old Shutters and Use for Decor

Old wood shutters get a brand new look with CeCe Caldwells Nantucket Spray, and secret no mess distressing tip!
Estate Sale treasures. I found several sets of plain wood shutters.  Gave them a new look with a blend of CeCe Caldwells Nantucket Spray and Vintage White
Estate Sale treasures. I found several sets of plain wood shutters. Gave them a new look with a blend of CeCe Caldwells Nantucket Spray and Vintage White
Here is what I started with. Everyone bypassed them.  I purchased them for a song!
Here is what I started with. Everyone bypassed them. I purchased them for a song!
After the shutters were painted.  I used a baby wipe!  Distressing is mess free and easy, use a baby wipe and simply wipe the paint off where you want a chippy or worn look.
After the shutters were painted. I used a baby wipe! Distressing is mess free and easy, use a baby wipe and simply wipe the paint off where you want a chippy or worn look.
There is no mess with the wet distress method, and you have way more control than with sandpaper.
Now they look like they came from a beach cottage, not a random estate sale!

Redoux Interiors

• Shaun

Did you paint a layer of grey over the original brown stain cause it looks grey where you distressed rather than the brown stain. I have a pair of raw pine shutters & I am trying to get that look with the grey that is why I ask. Should I stain with a weathered grey first maybe?

• Redoux Interiors

@Shaun , it just came up with a grey tinge in the pictures. I used 2 different CeCe Caldwell's Colors, I believe Nantucket Spray and Vintage White. Where the paint didn't totally come off ended up looking grey. If you want a grey stain look, I would highly recommend CeCe Caldwell's Beech Nut Stain. The stains are all natural, no chemicals, and they work just like regular stains. Here is a link to the website, you can find a retailer near you or buy online from one of the online retailers. http://cececaldwells.com/category/products/stains-finish/

• Patti

What else could you use these type of shutters for? Need some suggestions.

• Mere Chepolis

You could use them as a head board...jewelry holder but little hooks for necklaces and bracelets)....mail holder....note board with clothes pins....picture holder.......remove some slats and use as a towel rack in the bathroom.....screw some hose clamps into them randomly and put pots for flowers.....the possibilities are endless!

• Kathy

Have 1 set of old shutter that are painted yellow....would like to keep yellow,but make them look distressed.How do I?

• Nell Morris

Just take some sand paper and rub the edges and places where the paint would naturally wear away. It really is easy and you can add distressed points one at a time until it has the look you want

• Sue Hurst

Where are the actual directions for how to do this?

• Redoux Interiors

Hi Sue, you are welcome to visit the original post for more instruction. This is free content after all, so step by step, detailed directions are not always given.

• Darilyn Williams

where is the original post?
    • Mary Justin

Maybe the title is misleading and should instead be shutters instead of how to paint shutters..
  • Cindy

I kills the burgundy shutters and now I want to distress. Should I spray paint them with a cream and sand or spray them white and rub dirt to make the look distress. Please help.

• Mary Justin

is there a particular paintbrush you use? I don’t see a lot of brush marks on your shutters. did. Your water doesn’t down the paint? Thank you
  • Vicky Whiteman

Do you paint the back too?

• Carol Lindsey

I purchased 4 old exterior shutters to make into a king size headboard. I stripped 4 layers of old paint and I love the natural distressed finish. I don't want to paint them. But they smell old and musty. Any suggestions how to get rid of the smell? I have sprayed with vinegar and put in the sun to dry out completely . It is better but not yet fresh smelling.

Carol Lindsey

• Carol

I used four old shutters for a headboard and simply stood them up side by side and pushed the bed against them. They have not moved in 4 years.

• Biancasmom1

I have acquired 2 shutter doors. This one is definitely in the running for the finished product!