Upcycle Storage Containers

$2

I have these 3 drawer storage containers several places in our home. Sometimes I like that I can see what's in the drawer, and other times I do not. I came up with an easy and inexpensive way to upcycle the drawers - hiding what's inside and giving it a face lift at the same time.

You'll need the following supplies:
  • Drawer(s) you want to upcycle
  • Contact paper of your choice
  • Regular paper/butcher
  • paper
  • pencil
  • sissors
  • Ruler
  • Electrical Tape
  • Razor blade
I used butcher paper to trace the front of my drawer to make a pattern.
I measured the top down to the handle, and it was about 2 1/2". The indent portion of the bottom half of the drawer would take more contact paper than the upper portion. I needed to cut my pattern in 1/2 to accommodate this.
I cut my pattern out.
I then traced my pattern onto the back of the contact paper and cut the contact paper.
I pulled off the backing and put both 1/2 on the front of the drawer.
I used the white electrical tape to cover the lines of the two sections. I trimmed off the extra contact paper using a razor blade/Xacto knife.
Here it is all finished, and I love the way it turned out!

I would love to have you stop by my blog    Chas' Crazy Creations  for the full tutorial as well as sign up for my latest creations, posts, recipes, exclusives, and more...

I would love for you to subscribe to my YouTube channel to see more of my crazy creations - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIOsMN7hycVRco-MROXwmXg
I’ll be making this on Hometalk’s Facebook Live DIY – November 12th at 7pm EST.

31 Astounding Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Contact Paper
Grab Some Pool Noodles And Copy These 3 Ideas
30 Jewelry Organizing Ideas That Are Better Than a Jewelry Box
4 Chemical-Free Ways To Clean In Your Home
3 Gorgeous Decor Projects In The Oh-So-Chic Geometric Style
15 Genius Hacks to Keep Pests Away
31 Update Ideas To Make Your Kitchen Look Fabulous
30 Gorgeous Ways To Keep Your Home Organized
Cut Up Some Pallets For These 20 Amazing Ideas
3 Easy Ways to Make The Cutest Coasters for Your House
Do You Want to Update Your Antique Furniture?
Chas' Crazy Creations

• Ida9464

Awesome! You took something very ho hum and made it near and attractive! I am excited to do this! Thank you so much👍🏼🥰

• Dorcas Wright Berthold

I loved your idea but decided to go the LaZY way. I live with my husband in a good sized nice 1 bedroom apartment. As a crafter you know I have hoarded all sorts of stuff my husband would classify as either junk, or he’d die if he knew what it really cost. I took the legs off of a door sized table and used nightstands and a rack with metal drawers to hold it up. Then I could hide a plastic cart underneath. But i still needed two more to sort my items. After everything was put in its place I liked it but I hated seeing in the drawers. Also that allowed my grown children, husband and one friend to easily locate what they wanted to “borrow” without asking me. (Some would say stealing- hint - All of my good paint brushes are hidden because that ‘feiend’ will use them and let paint dry in them. Not ruining any more of my brushes! Lol

So I lived with the messy looking drawers for a few days to let the plan form. And I did 3 cabinets with a total of 12 drawers in 45 minutes of Netflix binging.

My cabinets have black frames with frosted clear drawers. I’d just bought a 10 piece package of Poster board. Yeah.

I first used typing paper to get a good fit. Tape two pieces together (short end together).

I put mine INSIDE the drawer. Using a thin metal ruler I determined the depth and cut strips. I used my paper template to find out how wide the strips needed to be. My cabinet with 6 drawers has more dimensions than just bowing out in the middle. Then I used the templates to try one drawer and all was good. And my three drawer units had flat fronts with an oval cut out for a handle. So I made the Paper Template again. / you’ll need a lager hole in poster board than you thought.

To keep my ‘fronts in place. I’ve just used cellophane tape on the top edge

I can cover these with contact paper, pain them (grey would be my choice.

Thank you for making this tutorial. I wouldn’t have thought of it.