Chas' Crazy Creations
Chas' Crazy Creations
  • Fort Collins, CO

Upcycle Storage Containers

$2

I have these 3 drawer storage containers several places in our home. Sometimes I like that I can see what's in the drawer, and other times I do not. I came up with an easy and inexpensive way to upcycle the drawers - hiding what's inside and giving it a face lift at the same time.

upcycle storage containers
You'll need the following supplies:
  • Drawer(s) you want to upcycle
  • Contact paper of your choice
  • Regular paper/butcher
  • paper
  • pencil
  • sissors
  • Ruler
  • Electrical Tape
  • Razor blade
upcycle storage containers
I used butcher paper to trace the front of my drawer to make a pattern.
upcycle storage containers
I measured the top down to the handle, and it was about 2 1/2". The indent portion of the bottom half of the drawer would take more contact paper than the upper portion. I needed to cut my pattern in 1/2 to accommodate this.
upcycle storage containers
I cut my pattern out.
upcycle storage containers
I then traced my pattern onto the back of the contact paper and cut the contact paper.
upcycle storage containers
I pulled off the backing and put both 1/2 on the front of the drawer.
upcycle storage containers
I used the white electrical tape to cover the lines of the two sections. I trimmed off the extra contact paper using a razor blade/Xacto knife.
upcycle storage containers
Here it is all finished, and I love the way it turned out!

I would love to have you stop by my blog    Chas' Crazy Creations  for the full tutorial as well as sign up for my latest creations, posts, recipes, exclusives, and more...

I would love for you to subscribe to my YouTube channel to see more of my crazy creations - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIOsMN7hycVRco-MROXwmXg
upcycle storage containers
I’ll be making this on Hometalk’s Facebook Live DIY – November 12th at 7pm EST.
Chas' Crazy Creations

• Garyland Thompson

Awesome idea! Wonder if fabric will work?

• Joyce Allen Baumgardner

I haven’t used contact paper for decades. Is it still as hard to work with? I have several plastic drawers and would love to try this. Great idea.

• Myra Wray Miller

I think it's much easier to work with now. I don't have an opinion on dampening it simply because I've never tried it. To me today's contact paper has more "give". Seems to have more of a slight stretch, so more vinyl than paper. You'll be pleased if you're comparing to the old product 😊 (by the way I am not paid by or associated with contact paper LOL)

• Becky

Do you wrap the sides and back also or just the drawer faces?

• Chas' Crazy Creations

You can do it all if you like, I just did the front. Probably depends on where you are keeping it and what people will see.