Upcycle Storage Containers

$2

I have these 3 drawer storage containers several places in our home. Sometimes I like that I can see what's in the drawer, and other times I do not. I came up with an easy and inexpensive way to upcycle the drawers - hiding what's inside and giving it a face lift at the same time.

You'll need the following supplies:
  • Drawer(s) you want to upcycle
  • Contact paper of your choice
  • Regular paper/butcher
  • paper
  • pencil
  • sissors
  • Ruler
  • Electrical Tape
  • Razor blade
I used butcher paper to trace the front of my drawer to make a pattern.
I measured the top down to the handle, and it was about 2 1/2". The indent portion of the bottom half of the drawer would take more contact paper than the upper portion. I needed to cut my pattern in 1/2 to accommodate this.
I cut my pattern out.
I then traced my pattern onto the back of the contact paper and cut the contact paper.
I pulled off the backing and put both 1/2 on the front of the drawer.
I used the white electrical tape to cover the lines of the two sections. I trimmed off the extra contact paper using a razor blade/Xacto knife.
Here it is all finished, and I love the way it turned out!

I would love to have you stop by my blog    Chas' Crazy Creations  for the full tutorial as well as sign up for my latest creations, posts, recipes, exclusives, and more...

I would love for you to subscribe to my YouTube channel to see more of my crazy creations - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIOsMN7hycVRco-MROXwmXg
I’ll be making this on Hometalk’s Facebook Live DIY – November 12th at 7pm EST.

Chas' Crazy Creations

• Ida9464

Awesome! You took something very ho hum and made it near and attractive! I am excited to do this! Thank you so much👍🏼🥰

• Dorcas Wright Berthold

I loved your idea but decided to go the LaZY way. I live with my husband in a good sized nice 1 bedroom apartment. As a crafter you know I have hoarded all sorts of stuff my husband would classify as either junk, or he’d die if he knew what it really cost. I took the legs off of a door sized table and used nightstands and a rack with metal drawers to hold it up. Then I could hide a plastic cart underneath. But i still needed two more to sort my items. After everything was put in its place I liked it but I hated seeing in the drawers. Also that allowed my grown children, husband and one friend to easily locate what they wanted to “borrow” without asking me. (Some would say stealing- hint - All of my good paint brushes are hidden because that ‘feiend’ will use them and let paint dry in them. Not ruining any more of my brushes! Lol

So I lived with the messy looking drawers for a few days to let the plan form. And I did 3 cabinets with a total of 12 drawers in 45 minutes of Netflix binging.

My cabinets have black frames with frosted clear drawers. I’d just bought a 10 piece package of Poster board. Yeah.

I first used typing paper to get a good fit. Tape two pieces together (short end together).

I put mine INSIDE the drawer. Using a thin metal ruler I determined the depth and cut strips. I used my paper template to find out how wide the strips needed to be. My cabinet with 6 drawers has more dimensions than just bowing out in the middle. Then I used the templates to try one drawer and all was good. And my three drawer units had flat fronts with an oval cut out for a handle. So I made the Paper Template again. / you’ll need a lager hole in poster board than you thought.

To keep my ‘fronts in place. I’ve just used cellophane tape on the top edge

I can cover these with contact paper, pain them (grey would be my choice.

Thank you for making this tutorial. I wouldn’t have thought of it.