Master Bedroom Retreat

$600
8 Weeks
Advanced

Our master suite was a complete disaster when we purchased our 1960's ranch style home. It needed a total makeover and that's exactly what we gave it. From knocking down a wall to installing new flooring and building a barn door to finally moving in! We couldn't be happier with the results and I'm excited to share them with you!
In order to make this happen, the very first thing did was demo the entire space.
My hubs and I carefully removed the plantation shutters to give a fresh coat of white paint and return later after new windows were installed. We ripped out the dirty blue carpet and took down the window valances. The flat panel interior doors also made their way to the dumpster along with all the old hardware.
This built-in vanity also had to go. I can see why the previous owner needed it because the bathroom was SO tiny, but we were going to change all that! We salvage the mirror and had it cut down into two smaller mirror that now hang over the sinks in the bathroom. Our local glass company did this for FREE. How awesome is that!!!
This is what that corner looks like now where the built-in used to be.  It would also make a great place for a comfy chair for a reading nook or in my case, a place to look at decorating magazines, house plans and dream!
We knocked down the wall between the closet on the left and the existing bathroom to enlarge the bathroom.
While the bathroom was open to the studs, we moved the opening and added a barn door built my hubs.  The reclaimed barn wood came from the cabin we deconstructed at Spirit Lake in Idaho.
This is the other side of the room which leads back out to the rest of the house and to the patio. I couldn't wait to paint a fresh new color scheme of white and gray.
I used a light gray on the walls with bright white trim. I share all the color sources on my blog.
I got on a pillow kick, and made a bunch of pillows to display around the house.  It was so fun and I can’t wait to make more.  I always use IKEA pillow forms.  They are so plump and fill the cases so perfectly.  FYI:  I make my pillow covers 1″ smaller than the pillow form. You can read all about how I make my envelope pillow covers here. It's super easy!!!
We went way over budget on the overall remodel of this house so when it came time to decorate I was really on a tight budget.  I needed a large area rug and luckily, we have a store in Tyler with really inexpensive rugs to choose from and I picked up this rug for about $100.00.  I needed new bedding but wasn’t sure what I really wanted so I just bought another white coverlet like what I had before along with new pillow shams.  I used our headboard for the guest bedroom so we also needed a new headboard.  I traced out a headboard and my husband built it out of wood we already had on hand.  I painted it white and sanded it back for some distressing.  For more before and after photos, you are always to stop by for a visit.

Timeline for this project of 8 weeks includes the bathroom remodel as well but I tried to separate the costs between the two.

• Reclaimed barn wood  (old lake cabin)
  • Area rug  (At Home Store)
  • Black ceiling fan  (Home Depot Online)

Vintage Street Designs

• Thepoetsmuse

After you removed that carpet was the beautiful wood floor already in place or did you purchase and install?
    • Vintage Street Designs

Unfortunately, there was no oiriginal hardwood. We usually don't find good surprises like that in the homes we renovate. 😁 However, the laminate flooring we chose was very easy for my hubs to install. Happy Holidays!!!
  • Betsy Conroy Knights

Did you make the headboard? Love it
    • Vintage Street Designs

Yes we did. Thank you. We used left over barnwood from the same cabin we took down in idaho to make the barn door. 😊

• Joanie

I like what you have done with everything. I'm thinkin' how would your 2 windows look with barn doors on both. I wanna try it in my house.....instead of curtains.

• Jeanette Knox

If you mentioned the ceiling, I missed it. It looks like the ceiling was painted same color as walls. The whole room is so very fresh and clean and beautiful.

• Vintage Street Designs

Thank you SO much! You are correct. We did paint the ceiling the same color. I normally do unless I'm using a dark color on the walls. I LOVED remodeling this house. It SOLD in just 6 hours. Can you believe it?