Have y'all ever changed your shower spout due to a leak?

My shower spout leaks off & on. I don't really want to call a plumber when I think it may be a simple fix.

  6 answers
  • Ken Ken on Oct 24, 2017
    Do you mean that when you turn the water off it keeps dripping? If so, it's not the spout that is leaking, it is the shower valve.

    Do you know what brand the shower valve is? Single handle or two handle? Do you know how to turn off water to the valve?

    Fairly simple process. First remove the handle or handles then, through a process that depends on the design of your valve, remove the cartridge. You take that cartridge to the hardware store so they can match it for a replacement. Goes back together just the reverse of taking it apart. You are correct in thinking it's not a terribly difficult job, but every manufacturer's design is different and you need to know which one you have and whether you need special tools to get it apart.
    • Kellee Kellee on Oct 24, 2017
      Yes, that is what happens. When I turn it off, it drips. I know it's a Moen and a single knob, that's as far as I can go. I'm going to work on it this evening. Thank you for the suggestion.
  • Johnavallance82 Johnavallance82 on Oct 24, 2017
    It should just screw off.
  • Ebbjdl Ebbjdl on Oct 24, 2017
    Purchase a replacement shower head, they are easy to install. The box should give simple directions, on how to do it. Also pay attention to what you take off and how, so you can reverse the procedure, and connect the shower head.
  • Kristin Patsios Kristin Patsios on Oct 24, 2017
    You might just need some plumber tape. That would help seal it.at the contact point.
  • JTP30463281 JTP30463281 on Oct 24, 2017
    go to Lowes and get parts and simple guidance in their pluming department. You can do it with very little effort. :-)
  • Ken Ken on Oct 24, 2017
    If it's newer, chances are it's a Posi-Temp. It's what I have in both bathrooms. After you shut the water off and remove the knob there is a wire horseshoe like clip that you pull up with a needle-nose plier. Then you grab the front of the cartridge, a white plastic bar at the base of the handle stem, with channel-locks and wiggle it back and forth while pulling out. Sometimes they don't come out so easily and they do sell a puller. You replace that whole thing. Looks like you'll be spending about $40 for the genuine article, a little less for other brands. A repair kit, if you don't mind getting into it, is only around $12. More work but a lot less money.
    • Kellee Kellee on Oct 24, 2017
      I honestly don't know how old it is. I just purchased this house in September. I'm hoping it is this simple and I don't need to call a plumber. You don't know how much I appreciate your response.
Your comment...