How to Paint New Walls to Look Old

How use layers of paint and a large sea sponge to make a wall look like it's very old - maybe make a wall or a room to make you feel like you're in Tuscany or Provence!
This is my final result - mottled walls that look old! There's some tips here & visit my blog post for all details at http://indiapiedaterre.com/2014/03/02/paint-new-walls-look-old/
This is the look I was going for - I think I got close to it.
Choose 2-3 colors that are very close to each other, and a "natural" color like a beige or gray. You actually want to introduce a "dirt" or "dusty" look.
First layer of paint - paint the lightest of your 2-3 similar colors. You don't have to do a great job of painting this layer because you will be painting more layers over it.
Old walls are darker in the corners because they're touched and worn down less there. So pay attention to your corners and the edges of the wall (top, bottom) - get some dark color into those corners.
I'm sure there's a variety of techniques to do this, but this is what I do - with a large sea sponge - as large as you can find - paint "rivers" of the natural color paint down the wall.
Hold your so you use all the surface of your fingers/fist - don't use it with the tips of your fingers. You don't want to "poke" the wall with little splotches - you want wide swaths of sea sponged color
After painting rivers down the wall, then I applied more layers of color, overlapping and turning and twisting the sponge so that the sponge didn't make any identifiable repeating patterns on the wall.

Transform Tuna Cans Into Gorgeous Lighting In 10 Simple Steps
Use Your Old Corks For These 25 Clever Ideas
15 Clever Repurposing Ideas That Will Add Some Creativity to Your Home
25 Ways You Can Be an Artist - With No Experience Necessary!
Get The Party Started With These Perfect DIY Decor Ideas
Spruce Up Your Plain Lamp With One Of These Great Ideas
25 Beautiful Things You Can Make With Rope & Twine
20 Ways To Make Your Own Personalized Clock
25 Adorable Ornament Ideas to Get You SUPER Excited for Christmas
26 Adorable Ornament Ideas to Get You REALLY Excited for Christmas
15 Easy & Colorful DIY Projects For Your Home
3 Absolutely Adorable Ways To Display Your Plants
Deb @ NomadicDecorator.com

• Mar19377667

Inspired! You might want to look up Lazure Method to take it a step further with your talent! I have to pay someone to do it, but this method...I can do! Thanks so much!

Marilyn

Mt. Shasta, CA
  • Betsy Coss

I am glad you showed exactly what colors you used and told us in what order. thank you. looks good.