Can you paint melamine?

WilliamCynthia HKay27246977
+2

I have three chests of drawers, white and very boring. I can change the knobs but I want to get rid of the plasticky look as well. If you can, what type of paint and is there anything I can do to "soften" the edges?

• Johnavallance82

ESP Primer, then undercoat and then Topcoat (Satin)
  • Kay27246977

you can probably use any paint on it and a sealer

Make sure they are clean and dry. Remove the drawers and hardware. Lightly sand to remove any gloss and roughen the surface for paint with 120- to 220-grit sandpaper. Use a tack cloth or damp rag to remove dust after sanding. Prime with a stain blocking primer like Zinsser 123, KILZ,or BIN. Acrylic, or water-base, paints are low-fume and clean up easily with water. Alkyd, or oil-base, paints require good ventilation because the paint contains solvents that can irritate your lungs and make you feel sick. Alkyd options require mineral spirits for cleanup, but they provide a hard, durable paint finish. Whichever you use, buy the best-quality paint you can afford for a lasting kitchen cabinet finish. Seal with at least three coats with a water based polyurethane. Use a small foam roller and foam brush for a smooth finish.