DeeDee
DeeDee
  • Decatur, TX

Homemade Fabric Softener

$3

Homemade Fabric Softener? Why not! I started making my own DIY Laundry Soap, click here for recipe. about five years ago and I haven't looked back since then. Making your own laundry supplies is so much cheaper than the store bought variety. For instance, I made this big batch of softener for less than $3. You can't go wrong there!
homemade fabric softener
The way to easily dispense your softener is to save, rinse and use your giant creamer jug, that's what I do .  You will only need three (3) ingredients to make your own fabric softener and you probably already have two of them in your home right now.

NOTE: Please visit our blog for the exact recipe, the link is below, scroll down until you find the "GO" button, then click it. It will take you straight to the recipe!
homemade fabric softener
Mix your water and conditioner together first.  I used a "big" bowl and added my water first.
homemade fabric softener
Next, add your hair conditioner to the hot water. I should have used a larger bowl yall!
homemade fabric softener
I transferred the mixture to a larger bowl in small increments and whisked it until it was smooth.  That's what I get for trying to use pretty dishes for the photo shoot! lol!

Lastly, add your vinegar, mix well and then transfer to your storage container(s).  The vinegar is the actual softening agent in this mixture, the conditioner is just for the scent mostly.
homemade fabric softener
We have HE (High Efficiency) machines and this along with my homemade wash soap works awesome in them.  The dispenser tray in my washer shows a max fill line for the softener (1/4 cup), but if you're just adding to your wash load, use 2-6 tablespoons per load.

Please visit our blog for more really good cleaning tips.

Scroll down until you find the "GO" button to go straight to the recipe! :)
DeeDee

• Veronika M. Boggess

What ratio of water, hair conditioner and vinegar did you use? I'm sure it makes a difference of how much of each you use. Thank you!

• DeeDee

Hi there Veronika! Scroll back up until you see my picture and a blue "GO" button. Click the button to be taken straight to the recipe. :)

• Karen

I have two questions. Does the scent of vinegar overpower the scent of the conditioner? Does the fabric softener have a long shelf life or does the water in it cause it to spoil quickly? I love your site, Dee Dee.

• Linda

Can you use this softener with bleach in white loads? I understand there is a chemical problem with vinegar and bleach.

• DeeDee

Hi Linda! My machine has two separate reservoirs for each the softener and bleach. They empty into the machine at two separate times, so no, I don't ever have a problem using them together. :)