How and when would I prune my dad's apple trees?

Janet PizaroRoelof HartzenbergKelly Condie Thompson
+3

My father has approx 8-10 apple trees in his yard and I would love to help them live a bit longer. The apples they produce are incredibly tasty and I know they sure don't grow like they did this season all the time! Please help me help him help THEM! 😊

• Isa8447367

What state of you located in
  • Isa8447367

What state of you located in , And do you know what type of Apple trees they are

• Kelly Condie Thompson

The best time to prune fruit trees is in the winter before the blossoms set. Do it while everything is dormant. The fruit will have fallen off and you won't be damaging any of the coming fruit by disturbing the new blossoms. Check with your county extension agents. They can best advise you if any of the cut branches need to be painted or covered to protect them from insects. They can also give you the best advice on the angles to prune and which branches to prune that will allow light into the trees to allow the fruit maximum sunshine for sugars to develop.
  • Roelof Hartzenberg

U do not prunne apple trees. U just shape and trim. Might be good to reduce the fruit bearing branches to ensure less fruits but fruit of better size and eve quality. It will also prevent breakage of branches due to possible fruit overload