Ferdi
Ferdi
  • South Africa

Gabion Cladding

$300
2 Weeks

We did some Gabion walls in our garden and thought it would look nice if we could have our house clad in Gabion. We started with the garage entrance and front wall of the house.
gabion cladding
We bought some reject wire mesh (used to hold electrical cable) and using a bolt cutter, we cut it to size. The mesh normally comes in 3 meter lengths and can be shaped once cut. I found a bolt cutter and fence pliers worked best
gabion cladding
We then used a drill and wall anchors to anchor the mesh to the wall. We tried hold down clamps and washers on the mesh but found that just cutting the mesh and shaping it around the wall anchor was the easiest.
gabion cladding
Once the mesh was secure, we filled the cavity between the wall and the mesh with crusher rock / ballast.
gabion cladding
Getting the rock to the wall was hard labour and best if you have someone to help. I was grateful for my fiancé who put some gloves on(definitely recommended) and helped me to get the cavities filled
gabion cladding
Once all the cavities were filled, we had to rinse off the wall. We are still working on an idea to get the top of the wall trimmed off.
gabion cladding
The boundary walls in front of our house was a bit low so we made gabion baskets with the mesh and raised the wall another metre.
gabion cladding
Another project was the balustrade on our verandah / porch. I was very dull and lacked character so we built gabion boxes around the uprights and filled them with crusher rock and placed a stepping stone on the top to finish it off.
gabion cladding
The next few images are of the gabion facade at the front entrance of our house. We used an off-cut channel as a lintel and bolted the mesh onto it
gabion cladding
A view of the mesh bolted onto the channel.
gabion cladding
Another angle before we started filling it with rock
gabion cladding
After filling the baskets, and putting some pebbles around the entrance it started to really take shape. We still have more cladding to do and we will post more on those as we finish.

• Spacey

I suggest dark railroad ties for the tops?

• Sandra Bock

If you wanted the stone effect why not use cement to hold the stones in place?

• Chris

This gives it a more natural look and saves money not having to use cement. I believe that was kinda the point.plus u don’t have to dig firings so deep.

• Carol Flores

How do you get the rocks to stay up there without the mesh?? Some kind of glue that you forgot to mention?

• Denece Courtney

My 1st granddaughters nursery had the tree. It was awesome My dil mom painted it. The sun was painted around the Piaget fixture. She had hills and grass. The cutest thing was she painted the tree with my son and dil’s initials in the tree.

• Debby Wing

This does look pretty inspiring, the variations could be endless. Creativeness has only our minds to limit it!