Gabion Cladding

$300
2 Weeks

We did some Gabion walls in our garden and thought it would look nice if we could have our house clad in Gabion. We started with the garage entrance and front wall of the house.
We bought some reject wire mesh (used to hold electrical cable) and using a bolt cutter, we cut it to size. The mesh normally comes in 3 meter lengths and can be shaped once cut. I found a bolt cutter and fence pliers worked best
We then used a drill and wall anchors to anchor the mesh to the wall. We tried hold down clamps and washers on the mesh but found that just cutting the mesh and shaping it around the wall anchor was the easiest.
Once the mesh was secure, we filled the cavity between the wall and the mesh with crusher rock / ballast.
Getting the rock to the wall was hard labour and best if you have someone to help. I was grateful for my fiancé who put some gloves on(definitely recommended) and helped me to get the cavities filled
Once all the cavities were filled, we had to rinse off the wall. We are still working on an idea to get the top of the wall trimmed off.
The boundary walls in front of our house was a bit low so we made gabion baskets with the mesh and raised the wall another metre.
Another project was the balustrade on our verandah / porch. I was very dull and lacked character so we built gabion boxes around the uprights and filled them with crusher rock and placed a stepping stone on the top to finish it off.
The next few images are of the gabion facade at the front entrance of our house. We used an off-cut channel as a lintel and bolted the mesh onto it
A view of the mesh bolted onto the channel.
Another angle before we started filling it with rock
After filling the baskets, and putting some pebbles around the entrance it started to really take shape. We still have more cladding to do and we will post more on those as we finish.

Dollar Store Gem Backsplash
16 Stunning Sign Ideas You Can Make for Your Home
Check Out These Wonderful Gift Ideas You Can Do All By Yourself
Hometalk's Top 20 DIY Crafts For Kids
23 Surprising Uses for Curtain Rings
4 Chemical-Free Ways To Clean In Your Home
29 Ways To Get A Splash Of Blue In Your House
Add A Hint Of Farmhouse Style In Your Home With These Ideas
These Clever Ideas Will Help You With Spring Cleaning
13 Bird Feeders From Upcycled Items
23 Valentine's Day DIY Ideas That You Don't Want To Miss

• Sharleen

I'm in South Africa. Where did you find the rocks

• Sandi F.B.

So the wire cages are clearly visible ALL the time? No mortar used ? I’d be worried about humidity causing them to rust in a few years. Very very ambitious project

• Robin

That's the point....looking rustic....like when shiny copper turns greenish after awhile

• Bob Savage

Where do you buy the gabion mesh? Where would I find the mesh you used?

Bob