Old Maple Hutch Makeover

$70

I picked up this old maple color hutch on craigslist for just $70. It was kinda beat up and in need of some TLC and updating.
I planned on painting the piece black to go with my dining room chairs. In the end, I went with a satin black paint. I usually work with lighter colors and chalk paint on furniture makeovers so I wasn’t sure what to expect.  I got a quart of “Black” and thought I was ready to go. I removed all of the hardware and got to prepping.
Always sort the pieces by size and label them when you take them off so you know where they go when you put them back on. Unfortunately, I remembered this too late. I’m usually really good about keeping hardware all together when doing a project but didn’t think about sorting by size or location as I was going. This made it harder to put the pieces back on.  Oops.
The nice part about using chalk paint is that you are supposed to be able to paint without sanding or priming. I usually sand a little but not much (call me old school). This piece was particularly scratched up and shiny so I sanded more than usual after wiping the whole piece down with a damp cloth to get all of the dust off.
I should have sanded more and then primed and it would have helped the paint stick better.
I decided as I was painting the top that I wanted to leave the inside brown. It will just make the pieces displayed inside pop better.
Here it is all painted. At this point, I couldn't decide what to paint the hardware so I put everything together to see what it would look like.
Not crazy about the gold, so I tried a hammered silver and another color.
I finally settled on Oil Rubbed Bronze.  Here it is all done.
It fits perfectly in the space.
To see more of this makeover and find out the 7 lessons I learned while doing it, visit my blog at http://mylifeonkayderosscreek.com/7-lessons-i-learned-from-a-hutch-makeover/ you can also find me on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/lifeonkayderosscreek/

• Satin interior paint  (Home improvement store)
  • Oil Rubbed Bronze

25 Fabulous Feather Projects That You Don't Want To Miss
20 Ways To Improve Your Drop Cloth
Check Out These Wonderful Gift Ideas You Can Do All By Yourself
3 Gorgeous Ideas to Use Photo Frames - and Not for Pictures!
Turn Dollar Store Laundry Basket Into Wreath Form In 8 Easy Steps
26 Adorable Ornament Ideas to Get You REALLY Excited for Christmas
15 Cute Ways To Decorate Tin Cans Into Planters
15 Easy & Colorful DIY Projects For Your Home
15 Amazing Things You Can Do With Paint Stirrers
15 Bathroom Upgrades That You Can Totally DIY
Cut Up Some Pallets For These 20 Amazing Ideas
The Best Nautical Home Decor Ideas To Try Right Now
23 Surprising Uses for Curtain Rings
30 Stylish Update Ideas You'll Want To Use For Your Bedroom
Colleen@lifeonkayderosscreek

• Nerissa Trenear-Harvey

Stunning. But why is it called a Hutch? We call it a dresser or display cabinet?
    • Dti29595791

Traditionally, a "hutch" is meant to holddishes and glasses. A "dresser" is used in a bedroom to hold clothing, and a "display case" is made to display pretty items such as fancy dishware or ornamental glass items.

• Barbara Best Thomas

What brand and color of satin interior paint did you use? It's hard to tell if it's steel grey, dark blue or black. Love it!
    • Barb in Texas

It's right under the first picture, " I got a quart of “Black” "
  • Diane

Is the Oil Rubbed Bronze a spray paint?
    • K

Yes, it is made by Rustoleum.

• Carol Cole

I loved the gold hardware to but it is yours. What is that color you painted . It is beautiful.

• Bea

You did an excellent job of finishing this piece!