Old Maple Hutch Makeover

$70

I picked up this old maple color hutch on craigslist for just $70. It was kinda beat up and in need of some TLC and updating.
I planned on painting the piece black to go with my dining room chairs. In the end, I went with a satin black paint. I usually work with lighter colors and chalk paint on furniture makeovers so I wasn’t sure what to expect.  I got a quart of “Black” and thought I was ready to go. I removed all of the hardware and got to prepping.
Always sort the pieces by size and label them when you take them off so you know where they go when you put them back on. Unfortunately, I remembered this too late. I’m usually really good about keeping hardware all together when doing a project but didn’t think about sorting by size or location as I was going. This made it harder to put the pieces back on.  Oops.
The nice part about using chalk paint is that you are supposed to be able to paint without sanding or priming. I usually sand a little but not much (call me old school). This piece was particularly scratched up and shiny so I sanded more than usual after wiping the whole piece down with a damp cloth to get all of the dust off.
I should have sanded more and then primed and it would have helped the paint stick better.
I decided as I was painting the top that I wanted to leave the inside brown. It will just make the pieces displayed inside pop better.
Here it is all painted. At this point, I couldn't decide what to paint the hardware so I put everything together to see what it would look like.
Not crazy about the gold, so I tried a hammered silver and another color.
I finally settled on Oil Rubbed Bronze.  Here it is all done.
It fits perfectly in the space.
To see more of this makeover and find out the 7 lessons I learned while doing it, visit my blog at http://mylifeonkayderosscreek.com/7-lessons-i-learned-from-a-hutch-makeover/ you can also find me on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/lifeonkayderosscreek/

• Satin interior paint  (Home improvement store)
  • Oil Rubbed Bronze

Colleen@lifeonkayderosscreek

• Nerissa Trenear-Harvey

Stunning. But why is it called a Hutch? We call it a dresser or display cabinet?
    • Dti29595791

Traditionally, a "hutch" is meant to holddishes and glasses. A "dresser" is used in a bedroom to hold clothing, and a "display case" is made to display pretty items such as fancy dishware or ornamental glass items.

• Barbara Best Thomas

What brand and color of satin interior paint did you use? It's hard to tell if it's steel grey, dark blue or black. Love it!
    • Barb in Texas

It's right under the first picture, " I got a quart of “Black” "
  • Diane

Is the Oil Rubbed Bronze a spray paint?

• JKr17215766

I loved the gold colored hardware look the best,but I think this looks lovely too.
  • Carol Cole

I loved the gold hardware to but it is yours. What is that color you painted . It is beautiful.