Homemade Vinegar House Cleaner

$5
1 Week

With three common household ingredients you can create a very effective, great smelling, non-toxic cleaner at a much cheaper price than most household cleaners.
homemade vinegar house cleaner
Growing up my mother used vinegar to clean our house. To this day I do not like the smell of vinegar. Maybe it was the mandatory cleaning Saturdays I had the privilege of partaking in mixed with the strong vinegar smell. I am not sure. :) However, as an adult, I can't deny the powerful cleaning benefits of vinegar, and the fact that it is a much cheaper cleaning agent option, in comparison to major cleaning brands. I have come to appreciate the benefits of cleaning with vinegar.

To subside the strong vinegar smell, I stumbled upon a video from Good Housekeeping's Instagram feed (permanent article can be found  here) that showcased infusing herbs and essential oils to create a natural aroma for this potent cleaner. I was inspired to create my own, homemade version. I am so happy with the fresh smelling results. 

Before I share how to create your own vinegar cleaner I want to note that vinegar is acidic and can be dangerous for certain areas in your home like granite or marble surfaces. I like to use vinegar to clean in my fridge, microwave, sink and tile floors.
homemade vinegar house cleaner
homemade vinegar house cleaner
Step 1: Mix 1 cup of vinegar with 1 cup of water. 
homemade vinegar house cleaner
Step 2: To avoid mess you can either use a funnel or pour your mixture in the sink into the glass container. Make sure to leave a little room at the top for your herbs. 

I love (affiliate link) these spray bottles from Amazon. I know they are an investment, however I wanted a spray option for easier cleaning, and an item that is reusable and great quality. I already have gotten multiple uses out of them.

homemade vinegar house cleaner
homemade vinegar house cleaner
Step 3: Place 2-3 sprigs of your favorite, long-lasting herb into the vinegar and water solution. You can also use essential oils on their own or in combination with the herbs. This part is completely up to you. I used rosemary and lemon eucalyptus because my mother had plenty in her herb garden, and I like the smell of both herbs. 
homemade vinegar house cleaner
Step 4: Let your homemade vinegar cleaner sit for one week. Then clean to your heart's desire. 

• Vinegar  (Amazon)
  • Spray Bottle  (Amazon)
  • Herbs  (Garden)
Elizabeth at Country Peony