Pieces of Time East
Pieces of Time East
  • Newberry, SC

Dresser Bench Upcycle

$50
Advanced

This dresser came to me needing some love. I wanted to make her SPECTACULAR and stand out from all the other ordinary dressers. And she had the PERFECT BONES for this transformation.....
dresser bench upcycle
She was pretty beat up, but SOLID. I knew I could make her into a great, functional storage bench for an entry way or even, a bedroom, still!
dresser bench upcycle
I pulled out the two drawers that were not needed (I'll make those into pet beds!) And removed her top.
dresser bench upcycle
Using my JIG saw, I cut the two cross bars that held the drawers to make space for the bench.
dresser bench upcycle
Next I cut out the bottom board for the drawer.
dresser bench upcycle
Then I removed the back off the dresser and using the two cross boards I just cut off, I added them (one in front and one in back) to raise my bench height to 18 inches. I glued and screwed them in place. By having the back piece in place, it gave me the PERFECT level seat for my reclaimed wood to attach to.
dresser bench upcycle
I measured and cut the 3 reclaimed wood boards that would create the bottom of the seat.
dresser bench upcycle
I applied glue to the edges and used my nailer to attach them to the cross boards. I then measured and cut the boards for the sides and back and attached them the same way....
dresser bench upcycle
dresser bench upcycle
dresser bench upcycle
One more to go for the back....
dresser bench upcycle
Now that the bench portion was done, next I added Reclaimed Wood for the Top and to trim out the top of the bench.
dresser bench upcycle
Reattached the backing to the dresser....
dresser bench upcycle
Now she was all done and ready for Kristi Kuehl Pure Home Paints and Wood Stain.
dresser bench upcycle
I used Pure Home Paints in White Linen, Distressed and Matte Protective Finish for the body......
dresser bench upcycle
And Pure Home Paints Wood Stain in Teak for the top! All Pure Home Paint Products are 100% Non-Toxic, Made in the USA and BABY Safe!

To see more: htpp:/www.PureHomePaintsInfo.com

• Carolina

Wow love how it turned out. Did you change the hardware or did you just paint it?

• J Elaine Baker

Looks like handles are the same shape but have been painted with pewter or silver spray paint to go along with the grey seating area.
  • Dl.5660408

How stunning it is! I actually have 2 questions, did you sand the reclaimed wood pieces? Is that your preference in jig saws(I’m looking to buy one) and is that a shop that you own? Oops, guess that was 3 questions...
    • Jerri

I am always amazed at the furniture transformations. I often question the project as the photos show the progress. And then the final reveal blows my mind. Beautiful!

• Holly

Did you just glue the new top on, or how did you attach the new top?

• None

Was scaring me a it at first but wow!!!!

• Sunshine

Inspired to do it! What a stunning idea!!!! I now have a gorgeous sitting bench WITH storage also!! Thank you. If I could figure out how to send a picture of it, I would.