Diane
Diane
  • Canada

Hope Chest

$50

I had a Hope chest given to me 50 years ago and I decided it needed some loving. Here's how I gave it a new look.
hope chest
This was stained an ugly brown.  I deleted the picture by mistake.  Painted it 3 years ago with chalk paint.  I hated it all this time. It just didn't pop.
hope chest
i decided to paint the edges and the legs with Fusion paint.  I decided to decoupage tissue on the front and sides with a nice pattern.
hope chest
I did not like that either. So I removed the tissue and painted it with Fusion Mineral Paint.  I gave the top 6 coats of Minwax espresso stain. When that was dried, I light coated the front with Minwax Classic grey stain and more espresso. I purposely left the streaks on the top, I like how it looks.
hope chest
I then gave the hardware a coat of Rustoleum spray in bronze and light silver. Topped with Minwax polycrylic, 2 coats. I then had to stop because the weather has turned cold and the smell of the stain is too strong to use in the house.  But I think it now has the pop I was looking for.   Hope you like it as well.

• Minwax expresso and classic grey, polycrylic  (Home Depot)
  • Fusion Mineral Paint in Homestead Blue  (local retailer)

Yeah. kind of looked to busy with the tissue paper on the front. The end result is fabulous.

• Wendy

Beautiful transformation, it has a lovely vintage feel to it.