How to winterize large out door pots with decorative shrubs in them.

+8
q how to winterize large out door pots with decorative shrubs in them
  • Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on Oct 28, 2017
    Apply a thin layer of mulch to protect the roots
  • Holly Kinchlea-Brown Holly Kinchlea-Brown on Oct 28, 2017
    You don't say where you are located...do you know what planting zone you are in?
  • Jdu29254459 Jdu29254459 on Oct 28, 2017
    You want to avoid water/snow from getting in the pots because as it freezes, it will crack them. Maybe, wrap a trash bag around the trunks, let the bag fall around the pot, seal the seam w/duct tape. I had beautiful pots in RI & they cracked the first year I had them because I left them outside. All we could figure was water/snow expanded in the soil kind of like if you put a bottle of liquid in your freezer. Good luck

• Carol Carol on Oct 28, 2017
    You don't say where you are. In Texas, I wrap potted tender perennials with inexpensive blankets, then wrap them in Plankets. Everything has survived ten degrees before.
  • The Curb Appeal Fixers The Curb Appeal Fixers on Oct 29, 2017
    Interesting ...
  • LibraryKAT LibraryKAT on Oct 29, 2017
    I'm in Michigan and I was just researching the same thing. Jdufault51 is right. The best thing to do is wrap them well and bring them out of the weather. Otherwise, the small invisible cracks will expand and crack your containers. I am going to empty my pots and bring them in. You didn't say, but I'm assuming you are talking about ceramic pots. I like your fence line a lot; it's a great idea.