I have a front door that needs to be refinished. How do I do this?

+6
q i have a front door that needs to be refinished how do i do this
  • Holly Kinchlea-Brown Holly Kinchlea-Brown on Oct 28, 2017
    it's gorgeous! I would sand it down to the bare wood, perhaps use a stripping product on the design panels (to avoid sanding off the design) restain it a colour of your choice -or two stains to highlight the design- then seal it with an outdoor sealant...varathane or anything rated for outdoor use...check with your paint supply store for an appropriate product.
  • Jeanne Johnson Ortego Jeanne Johnson Ortego on Oct 28, 2017
    I second Holly's opinion! You can also treat it with Thompson's Water Seal after staining or painting, let it cure for the recommended time, then use the varethane.
  • Roxaneg Roxaneg on Oct 28, 2017
    Remove the hardware and, if you can, remove the door. The carved portions need to be hand-sanded as do the trim around them. Since the weather and time seems to have removed much of the old finish, you're simply trying to remove the rest. Use the edges of dowels, pencils, knitting needles-- anything to help get the sandpaper into the carved areas a bit better. You can also use steel wool in the nicks and crannies as well. There are "sandpapers" similar to Scotchbrite pads that might work really well in those areas.

Because you've spent a good deal of time on the carved sections, treat yourself and use a palm sander or random orbital sander on the stiles and rails (the flat portions) and have at it. Again, you are simply trying to remove what Mother Nature hasn't. You want to get off the old finish and reveal the bare wood so that it will accept the stain you've chosen.

Start with a 100-150 grit sandpaper. Use 180-220 to remove the scratches from the 100-150, then finish with 320-400 grit.

You want a good exterior-grade stain; they have UV protectants that interior stains do not have which will retain the color of the door longer. After that, a good outdoor polyurethane or spar varnish will protect all you hard work.
  • Scottishlassie033 Scottishlassie033 on Oct 28, 2017
    You can buy a clear stain or one with colour one that is waterproof, just ask at your hardware store they are very helpful, they helped me find the right product for my wooden shed, I love the beautiful woodwork on your door, would like to see the finished project. 🙂
  • Robyn Garner Robyn Garner on Oct 29, 2017
    Zinsser® StripFast™ Detail Stripper and Paint Remover! This deeply penetrating formula flows easily into crevices and gently removes up to three layers of finish in one simple step.

• Removes paint and other finishes from carvings, grooves, and detailed areas
    • Deep-penetrating yet gentle formula is great for use on furniture and antiques
    • Works on latex and oil-base paints, stain and clear finishes, wax, lacquer, shellac, varnish, and polyurethane
    • Acts fast in only 20 or 30 minutes
    • Removes up to 3 layers in just 1 easy step
    Made in the USA

I haven't used this personally but seems a great choice for you. Sanding could ruin the detailing. I often use dental tools for addressing things such as your intricate carving.
  • Candy Walsh Candy Walsh on Oct 29, 2017
    Holly and Robin are both spot on with their suggestions. When you're ready to Stain, if that's what you're doing, Rustoleum's Varathane has a beautiful line of colors. Can't wait to see it!
  • Katie Peterson Katie Peterson on Oct 29, 2017
    I use Watco Oil on my wood, With an out door door they get dry and it brings it back to life. Just wipe it on and then wipe off excess. When I first did this not much came off cause it was so dry. Wait a couple days and do again. Your wood door will love you again, and you will love it.
  • Lois Weissinger McGarvey Lois Weissinger McGarvey on Oct 29, 2017
    Beautiful Door! I agree with using a chemical to remove old vanish. Lay the door down when putting the new vanish on so you don't have to worry about drips from all the detail areas. Do several thin layer is also helpful so you get all the crevices without drips. Have fun! I am excited for you and the finished door.