Staircase help needed!

+13
We bought an old 2 story farm house a year ago. We got the downstairs remodeled and as a temporary fix, just painted the old stairs. We don't want to rebuild the whole staircase or do anything really extravagant to it either but don't like the blah painted look. Any suggestions?
q staircase help needed
  • Tcs Tcs on Oct 29, 2017
    Put wallpaper or fabric on the risers. Or stencil.

• Flipturn Flipturn on Oct 29, 2017
    There seems to be quite a gloss on the painted steps. How slippery are they? , and what are your plans to install some kind of hand railing?

How dark is the stairwell after the sun sets? LED light stripping would add brightness, and would be a cool-looking safety feature.

• Judy Herron Holmes Judy Herron Holmes on Oct 29, 2017
    Hang small pictures down the wall I know that won’t help with the risers but it will help with the looks of the staircase

• Chris Keating-Ingelse Chris Keating-Ingelse on Oct 29, 2017
    Yes! Look online for peel and stick tiles! I've always wanted to do this- you'll have to send in pictures if you do! Amazon has a veritable plethora of these, including some gorgeous Moroccan look tiles- printed on a vinyl product! Or, you could do another type of painting- use a wood grain tool on the treads, and paint the risers in a black & white (or colors of your choice) harlequin/diamond pattern. Just be sure to let us know what you do and send photos!!!

• Linda Young Linda Young on Oct 29, 2017
    I would repaint to closer match the pine wallboard and maybe put on a carpet runner up the middle.

• Judi Judi on Oct 29, 2017
    I have seen tiled risers and stenciled risers that look amazing. Another option that helps with noise are carpet runners. They don’t all have to match...rag rugs would be fun and in keeping with the farmhouse theme.

• B. Enne B. Enne on Oct 29, 2017
    All good suggestions, you could also put oak or maple tread caps in solid wood or laminate to give an attractive chunky wooden look.

• B. Enne B. Enne on Oct 29, 2017
    Here are some good ideas:
    http://www.hometalk.com/board/8318795/keep-stairing

• Bonnie Bonnie on Oct 29, 2017
    You could paint the risers in a color similar to what you have but use satin or another non-glossy paint. Then paint the treads a darker color, perhaps a brown that would coordinate with the knots in that beautiful paneling.

• Emily Emily on Oct 29, 2017
    I would paint the treads to match the panelling and the risers white. I have a large collection of pics of oriental rugs I have taken out of magazines for years and I always thought they would make a good decoration on risers, but have yet to do it! I think painted stairs look better if the risers and the treads do not match.

• Barb Barb on Oct 29, 2017
    i think the beige color should of been white and the risers dark color to bring a focal point to the stair case, here’s a picture of my idea📌

• Jenny Jenny on Oct 30, 2017
    you need to buy Mediterranean tiles and plaster them on the risers only! I’ve seen this in Home Makeover before and it really looks amazing!

• Deb C Deb C on Oct 30, 2017
    try stenciling them or use wallpaper or contact paper on the risers.

• DP DP on Oct 30, 2017
    I made my stairs like a waterfall
    http://www.hometalk.com/26110284/gave-my-steps-a-very-different-makeover

• Ginny Ginny on Oct 30, 2017
    There are some nice carpet treads available that you nail into each step. I did this in my row house before I could afford wall to wall.

• Jjsunflower😎 Jjsunflower😎 on Oct 30, 2017
    Repaint also use carpet runners and tack it down