How to Paint Oak Banisters Glossy Black

$35

I am taking part in the One Room Challenge (ORC) over at the blog, Calling It Home. If you are not familiar with the ORC, its an online design challenge where you have 6 weeks to make over a room. I am working on updating my foyer. A main element in the new design for my space is to paint the banisters and newel posts glossy black.
Here is a picture of the foyer before I started the update. You can see the orange-y oak banister and newel post on the staircase.
The first thing I did was prep the banister and newel posts for paint. I cleaned them and gave them a light sand with fine grit sandpaper. Then I put painter’s tape on the balusters where they joined with the handrail and tape where the newel posts met the stair treads or floor.
I then painted them using Clark & Kensington’s Hi-Gloss Enamel in black. It’s paint and primer in one and is 100% acrylic latex enamel. I had never used this product before but my local hardware store recommended it for my type of project.
I could have gone ahead and used the leftover paint from the front door, but I wanted to try a latex hi gloss enamel to see how it differed from the oil. In short, the latex enamel went on very similarly to the oil paint I used on the door. The first coat did not cover the wood but the second coat made all the difference – the same thing that happened with the door. 
The pluses to the enamel paint are that it dried very quickly between coats (I ended up doing three) and it didn’t have the strong odor of the other oil paint. And I still got my rich gloss that I was looking for. I would definitely would use this product again.

• 1 Quart Hi Gloss Black Paint  (Ace Hardware)
  • Fine Grit Sandpaper  (Ace Hardware)
  • Wooster trim paint brush  (Ace Hardware)

15 Kitchen DIY Ideas That Will Come In Handy
30 Fabulous Wreath Ideas That Will Make Your Neighbors Smile
How A Little Bit Of Glitter Can Go A Long Way!
Here's How You Can DIY The Hottest Home Decor Trends of 2018
Make Your Kitchen Beautiful With These 15 Inexpensive Ideas
31 Update Ideas To Make Your Kitchen Look Fabulous
25 Christmas Wreath Ideas You Don't Want To Miss This Year
The Best Industrial Style DIY Ideas For Your Home Using Pipes
30 Useful Ways To Reuse Plastic Bottles
21 Ways To Use Those Pickle Jars You've Been Saving
Cuddling Up At Home With A Bottle Of Wine? Then Try These Projects!
23 Valentine's Day DIY Ideas That You Don't Want To Miss
Kristen Koehler

Great job. Love the gloss of the paint. Even the all in one paints don't always cover in one coat. The advertising is deceptive. TV commercials show on coat coverage but the paint is loaded on thick. Not always a good thing.
    • Kristen Koehler

Thanks William! My first instinct was that I did something wrong with the first coat - but I resisted the urge to glob on more and waited for the second coat. The third coat was more of a quick touch up in spots.

• Midwest Gal

nice job and tying the door