How do I keep out tiny Field Mice from a empty house in the Northeast

+14
The house had damage & is going to be renovated when I return in the spring, but it is located across from a big field.
The neighbor got field mice in her house already & she's living there. This will be empty with heat & electricit, but won't be touched ubrilliant Spring. What's the best way, long term to keep field mice or any critters for that matter out?
Thank you!

• Cas3446227 Cas3446227 on Oct 29, 2017
    they sell rodent repellant devices that give off a dual tone all you do is plug them in making sure you have enough for your size house
    • See 1 previous
    • Nancy Turner Nancy Turner on Oct 29, 2017
      Even Walmart sells them. I am sure home improvement stores have them, just ask where the mouse traps and that kind of stuff are.
  • Kit30430148 Kit30430148 on Oct 29, 2017
    Get a stray cat. The mice are good protein for the cat. Make a small shelter
    for it and it will be very happy .
    • Jay Jay on Oct 29, 2017
      Oh it's way to cold in the Winters for anything to be out! My neighbor 3 doors down is a Cat Rescuer & if she ever saw that she'd take it right in.
      She bought a small farm house with 2 big barns just to rescue cats. I have no idea how she feeds them all.
      But Thank you for thinking of me!

• Call an exterminator for an inspection. They will show you all points of entry and make suggestions for repair.
  • Patty Dell'Anno Patty Dell'Anno on Oct 29, 2017
    The devices don't work very well. Had mice at work run right by it. Also you can't have a cat if you don't live there. That's cruel. We have a park model camper. It's our first year so I'm not sure it works. We put fabric softener sheets all around the edges of the rooms and spread mothballs outside.
    • Jay Jay on Oct 29, 2017
      Someone told me putting mothballs outside was illegal because of the hazard to children. Did anyone hear that?
      I will put dryer sheets everywhere tho! That's a great start! Thanks.
  • Mar29755674 Mar29755674 on Oct 29, 2017
    cat
  • Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on Oct 29, 2017
    Make sure you seal any open caps with steel wool and spray insulation.Place traps inside and outside.All home improvement stores carry them.If you cannot locate on Amazon .com
    • Jay Jay on Oct 30, 2017
      To Janet Pizarro,
      Thank you! Do they not like steel wool? Can I put it all around the house. I apologize, but I'm not sure what you mean by caps. I'm not leaving any food in the house.....
      As far as traps ---Are you talking about the old fashioned spring kind?
      Thank you kindly!
    No problem. I lived in a rural area in upstate NY. The field mice were overwhelming. I got a cat and within a week to 10 days the mice started to leave.
    I also closed the house for the season but left cat traces around the house
    outdoors and it helped. I am a cat person myself. We have 3 beautiful cats
    who are our babies. I truly understand your neighbors feelings. All my babies are
    rescue and shelter cats. If your neighbor uses litter boxes, you may ask her to save the used litter and sprinkle it around the perimeter of the house.

• Jay Jay on Oct 29, 2017
      I'll ask!! Thanks! Did you leave litter inside too?
  • Michelle Leslie Michelle Leslie on Jun 03, 2021

Hi Jay, a good mouse prevention technique is to fill any holes in your soon to be renovated house with steel wool. This can be anywhere from air vents to hole in your kitchen cupboards. This will stop any mouse from trying to enter your home. Mice are known to be able to chew through almost anything, especially if they think food is on the other side, but they can’t chew through steel Wool.