Fire Surround for a She Shed

$132

A reclaimed cast iron fireback, an unused box of wall tiles, a piece of 4x4 timber......what have you got?

A decorative feature for your Summer House!
fire surround for a she shed
fire surround for a she shed
This project began with a cast iron fireback procured from an Antique's Centre. The surround was in an usually good condition for its age and just the right size for my envisaged end product. The large floor tile, used for the hearth, was surplus from our en-suite refurbishment. I darkened the textured surface using black boot polish!
fire surround for a she shed
A piece of 4x4 timber was cut to size and painted black. I had a hole routered into the wood, which the cast iron fire back would fit into. This was secured to a second piece of timber which would provide anchorage for the structure.
fire surround for a she shed
The previous owners of our house had left a box of wall tiles surplus to the kitchen refurbishment. I bought a sheet of orange coloured mosaic tiles and cut it into 2x3 blocks. A sheet of MDF was painted black, then tiled and grouted.
fire surround for a she shed
The tiled fireback was then secured in situ.
fire surround for a she shed
I boxed in the sides with a reclaimed piece of hard board, using a Jigsaw for the first time! Kitchen door magnets were positioned behind the hard board, providing a hidden fastening.
fire surround for a she shed
LED strip lighting was attached to the underside of the mantle piece. This illuminates the tiles, providing a ambient glow. A black cast iron fire grate was bought on line. For the fire effect, I placed a glass bowl containing pine cones and more flickering LED lights. Hey presto! An attractive addition and focal point of the Summer House. (Wraps still required/provided when sitting in the shed in winter...it looks warm though!)