Kristine(Teeny Ideas)
Kristine(Teeny Ideas)
  • River Edge, NJ

Vintage Card Catalog Makeover

$20

I picked up a vintage card catalog for $20 at an estate sale. Structurally the piece was solid. Visually it was covered in layers and layers of brown paint- right down to the hardware. Very cool hardware I might add. I was dying to know what was under all those layers of paint especially on the hardware.
vintage card catalog makeover
First I gave the card catalog a good cleaning with soapy water and a sponge.
vintage card catalog makeover
I used Citristrip to remove the layers of paint. I followed the directions and generously applied the Citristrip to the piece with an old paint brush. After about twenty minutes the paint started to bubble and I used a scraper to remove the paint. After all the paint was removed from the card catalog, I sanded the piece with 220 grit sandpaper and a hand sander.
vintage card catalog makeover
I removed all the paint from the hardware and while it was brass it was tarnished in a not good way.  The stripped hardware did not add any character to the card catalog so I applied a couple of lite coats of antique brass spray paint and that did the trick.
vintage card catalog makeover
I was hoping for raw wood and brass and I got it- to a degree. I was able to strip the card catalog down to the raw wood. There were some scratches and dings that were hidden by the layers of paint but I think it adds to the character of raw wood. You can see more pictures of the finished card catalog on the blog. I also decorated it for Halloween;)
Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date/time indicated and are subject to change. Any price and availability information displayed on [relevant Amazon Site(s), as applicable] at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product.
Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page. Prices updated as of June 18, 2018 11:26 AM - More info
Kristine(Teeny Ideas)

1 comment