Fixing a hold in wood paneling

I have a hole in the wall in the bathroom right behind a towel rod that measures a very rough 2" x 3" - not straight at all. No idea why it was there but I need to patch it. Just moved into an older home.
  9 answers
  • Z Z on Mar 16, 2014
    Muriel can you post a picture please?
  • Muriel Muriel on Mar 16, 2014
    Here is a picture of it.
  • Penny Williams Penny Williams on Mar 16, 2014
    Stuff news paper in the hole, fill it with spackle, let it dry & sand it . Paint your paneling to update your bathroom .
  • Muriel Muriel on Mar 16, 2014
    I've done nail holes with wood filler, but this is bigger than a dime with nothing behind it. Would have to find a way to have something hold it in the hole. With a matching brown could 'paint' black lines to match. ??
    • Z Z on Mar 16, 2014
      Sorry, it didn't look that large to me @Muriel. I had another answer written, but then changed because I thought the hole was smaller. Get some spray foam, (Great Stuff is the brand) that's used for sealing cracks and spray in the hole as a filler. This should give you a backing to hold the wood putty in place. And yes, if you wanted it to blend more you could use a fine point Sharpie to add lines to match the wood grain.
  • Muriel Muriel on Mar 16, 2014
    I can see the use of newspapers, but I sure don't want to paint the bathroom yet. We just moved into the house and have to many other priorities. :(
  • Muriel Muriel on Mar 16, 2014
    Thanks for the answers, but I'm still hoping for more ideas.
  • Muriel Muriel on Mar 17, 2014
    Thanks Becky. Hubby has some in his 'man cave'. I'll get on it tomorrow.
  • Brenda Cole Brenda Cole on Jan 27, 2016
    I thought with larger holes like that, you were supposed to use a wire mesh, stiff, tie a string to it so you cna hold it tight to the back of the wallboard. Fill will spackle, holding that string like a wick, let dry cut string sand finish?
    • Muriel Muriel on Jan 28, 2016
      @Brenda Cole I just put some tape over it, then put some shelving that sticks and looks like the same wood over the tape. I think I'm the only one that notices it as a towel always hangs on the rod. Thanks for thinking of me. Would have done like you suggested if it were in the open and a bigger hole.
  • Diana Deiley Diana Deiley on Feb 09, 2016
    Just love Brenda's suggestion. I would try a small piece of self adhesive dry wall mesh tape. Let dry, spackle, sand, paint. Best of luck.
Your comment...