Amber Foster
Amber Foster
  • Durant, OK

DIY Wooden Sleigh

$30

I bought a vintage wooden sleigh at a garage sale last year. EVERYONE wanted me to start looking for them one and it was of course impossible to find one for them all. Therefore, I decided I would just start building them! Now you can build one too!

diy wooden sleigh
Start by cutting the first piece of wood directly in half, about 48" each, and cutting the ends at a 45 degree angle for the 2 runners.
diy wooden sleigh
Next, cut the support braces.  Two straight pieces 13" long each.
diy wooden sleigh
Also, cut one more straight piece of wood 18" wrong for the top cross bar.
diy wooden sleigh
Prepare the top part of the sled by cutting 3 pieces of wood.  One 33" piece and Two 30" pieces.  Cute 45 degree angles on both ends of the 30" pieces in opposite directions.
diy wooden sleigh
Cut dog ears on all corners of the 33" piece.
diy wooden sleigh
Paint both of the running boards red, or whatever color you choose.
diy wooden sleigh
Stain all of the other pieces the same color, or paint them if you like.
diy wooden sleigh
Now, it's time to start assembling the sled.  Place the two runners down flat on the table and lay the 13" support beams across the top.  Secure them with wood glue and nails.  
diy wooden sleigh
The attach the crossbar to the top by the same method.
diy wooden sleigh
Lastly secure the seat of the sleigh again with wood glue and nails.  Put the longer piece in the middle and the two shorter pieces on the side. Visit www.amberfostercreativity.com for more super cute DIY'S!
Amber Foster

• Bryan's Workshop

Awesome! I'm definitely making a sled this year now. Thanks for sharing!
  • Sarah

Love this project! I made 3 at one time then decorated them each differently! Thank you for sharing this project!!
    • Amber Foster

Oh! Sarah! You don't know how much it warms my heart that you shared this with me! Amazing job and thank you so much for sharing😊