Sammy
Sammy
  • Dearborn, MI

DIY Squeaky Bed Fix

$40

A squeaky bed can be a real nuisance. The bed’s boxspring was the problem. When I opened up the boxspring, I was surprised by how flimsy it was. It was basically a big cardboard box framed with wood. The smartest option it seemed was to replace the cardboard and reinforce the structure of the box using sturdy, quality plywood and screws. It was a fairly easy and inexpensive project (under $40) that has
diy squeaky bed fix
A squeaky bed can be a real nuisance. When my wife was studying for her PhD qualifying examinations this past winter, she would stay up really late while the baby and I would sleep together much earlier. When she would finally join us at 2 or 3 in the morning, she always woke us up crawling into bed with a loud creak. After weeks of interrupted sleep and having to soothe a disgruntled baby, I finally decided to look into resolving this rather “loud” issue.
diy squeaky bed fix
Images showing the state of the boxspring internally.
diy squeaky bed fix
diy squeaky bed fix
diy squeaky bed fix
Measure the boxspring and head over to Home Depot to purchase and custom cut the plywood for your bed frame size. I had the plywood cut for a queen-sized boxspring: 60 inches wide by 80 inches long (see Figure 1). For me to get an exact size I purchased 2 plywood boards and had them cut so each piece was exactly half (30in x 80in) of my queen bed frame size.
diy squeaky bed fix
Remove your mattress and flip the boxspring frame over to remove the staples and nails from the corners of the cover attached to the frame along with the cardboard until all that remains is the wooden frame (see Figure 2).

Investigate the frame to make sure the studs are sturdy. Also, double check to see if the original nails/screws are in good condition. If you find any weak links go ahead and add more screws to tighten the joints.
diy squeaky bed fix
Apply liquid nail liberally along your frame taking care to stay in the center to prevent the glue from oozing out of the sides when you place the plywood boards (see Figure 3).
diy squeaky bed fix
Immediately place the custom cut boards on the freshly glued frame. Do this one board at a time so you don’t make a mistake aligning the plywood to the boxspring frame (see Figure 4).
diy squeaky bed fix
After you have placed the plywood boards on top of the boxspring frame, go ahead and secure the plywood to the frame using wood screws. I left a foot of space between each screw and made sure to drill the screws into the boxspring frame and not into empty space (see Figure 5 & 6).
diy squeaky bed fix
Let the glue dry for at least an hour.
Cut the corners of the plywood off at an angle if they extend beyond the frame as it can be a hazard and get in the way of completing step 9.(see Figure 7a & 7b).
diy squeaky bed fix
diy squeaky bed fix
Second part of the previous step.
diy squeaky bed fix
Using a staple gun, secure the fabric cover over the boxspring (see Figure 8).
Sammy

• Christina

Sorry, but I’m confused. You refer to a “box spring”but all I see in the photos is an empty wood frame. Is that empty (no springs)what you’re calling “box springs”? Otherwise, easy peasy and smart fix.
    • LaNell

I don't think there's any such thing as box " springs" any more. They are all just platforms, though most of us still say "box springs"

• Mary Coakley

Thank you so enlightening hope you all are in restful sleep.good job
  • Jake

I'm pretty positive that the box spring is supposed to be breathable for the mattress. Otherwise funky things start to happen with the mattress. I would look into drilling some holes in the plywood, away from the frame, for the mattress to breathe.