Stained Art - Sunflower Table

$70
1 Week
Advanced

Sunflowers happen to be one of my favorite flowers. It reminds me of my younger son, who has always loved them and wanted to have them planted!

I've done a handfuls of sunflower tables, but this one I'll be sharing with you is a little different!

This is my first one I created, and was my favorite of all of my sunflowers. Until now... now, I can't decide which I prefer.

We just had the release of our new Wise Owl seasonal colors, and one of them is Goldenrod, so I decided to use it on the base of the table.

For the aged look on the base, I used MinWax oil-based stain and  sealed the base with our Wise Owl Varnish in Satin.

I had decided to use this table at our local festival here in Franklin, PA, to do a demonstration on my staining technique. This was what the design looked like at the end of the two days of staining during the festival.

I had a lot more detailing to do, but when I got it home and started really looking at it, I decided I wanted to try some COLORED stain on this one before I went in with the detailing! I used General Finishes Dye Stain in Yellow for the sunflower.

At this point, I still wasn't sure about the leaf/ stem. I didn't have any of the GF dye stains in green, but I DID have a different colored stain that I had never used before and decided to give it a try. This one was made by RePurpose. I was pleasantly surprised with the stain.

Once the water-based stains had dried enough, I went in and did a lot more detailing with my oil based stain. When the sunflower was complete, I wasn't liking the raw background.

I used a walnut stain for the background and added some of the ebony around the edges.

When the stain was all cured, I applied our Satin Varnish for protection.

Isn't she lovely?! Sunflowers are definitely a favorite! This one sold pretty quickly.

Now, tell me - which do you prefer? The colored or the raw?  

Since it really wasn't fair to use the middle picture as a comparison since it didn't have as much detailing, I added another finished piece without color to help you decide.

If you would be interested in a custom design, send me an email or connect with me on Facebook, and we can come up with a one-of-a-kind design!

Here's a sneak peek of what I'm working on right now - almost complete! It's a show stopper!!

I would love for you to connect with me on my other social networks:

www.facebook.com/mmembellishments

www.instagram.com/mmembellishments

www.etsy.com/shop/mmembellishments

www.pinterest.com/mmembellishment

www.hometalk.com/mmembellishments

Cut Up Some Pallets For These 20 Amazing Ideas
These Bathroom Makeovers Might Inspire You To Update Your Own
Check Out These 30 Incredible Floor Transformations Ideas
16 Fun Ways You Can Use Food To Decorate Your Home
25 Impressive Ways You Can Update Your Ikea Purchases!

To see more: https://www.mmembellishments.com

• Garnet Julep
    Garnet Julep

WoW... I have a short (26”) chest in my bedroom that had been part of a hutch so the top is a mess that I’ve been covering with scarves ..would love to give this a try… Your article said you could come up with designs… My married name is Jonah and my husband‘s been dead though for 38 years but I’m still in love with whales… Might you have a whimsical oil pattern or idea???

• Edna
    Edna

this sunflower is a transfer? And where I can find.

• Deb Wilson
    Deb Wilson

Yes I will try this!!

it looks like you took the table top down to bare wood or added new wood? Just wanted to know.... your talent amazes me, mine won’t be nearly that good but it will be an original, lol.

• M&M Embellishments
      M&M Embellishments

Hi Deb, Yes, I did sand down to raw wood in order to make this process work. Thank you and GOOD LUCK, and ENJOY!!!

• Ruth
    Ruth

Yes I would. I have 2 identical tables as the one you did with the sunflower.

• Jeannie Ross
    Jeannie Ross

Absolutely gorgeous!!!!!! And I just gave two end tables away