DIY Wine Stoppers From Used Corks and Drawer Pulls

$6

These wine stoppers take 15 minutes to make…start to finish. The hardest part will be having to drink all the wine for the corks…now just be responsible!
diy wine stoppers from used corks and drawer pulls
What I Used to Make Wine Stoppers:

Wine Corks
Drawer Pulls
Drill
Drill Bit, I used a 1/8″
One Long Screw, mine was 3″ by 3/16″
100 grit Sandpaper
Wine Bottle
You might need an electric knife to cut down the cork if necessary
Safety Goggles

How I Made Wine Stoppers:

The video at the end of this post covers all steps in this tutorial

Cut the stem of your knob such that it is shorter than the cork.  I used my Dremel and the cutting wheel to trim the stem. The Dremel Workstation makes this so easy. I’ve shown how simple this, and the rest of this project, is to do in the video at the bottom of the post.
Drill a hole through the center of the cork.  I also used my Dremel and the Dremel Workstation for this task. I made a little gauge by making cross on a piece of paper, making sure that the angles are 90°. This gauge made it easy to line up my drill with the center of the press.
Make sure your cork is not tilted at all.  Before you turn your drill on, drop your drill and just do a second eyeball check to make sure the drill is placed in the center of the cork
Cut off the head of the large screw with the Dremel cutting wheel so that you can insert it into your drill.  This will hold your cork while you sand it.
  • Place the headless screw into your drill and then place your cork partially onto the screw through the hole you just drilled. Angle the cork onto the sandpaper and turn the drill on, sanding down the cork such that it tapers; wider at the top and narrower at the bottom of the cork.
  • Use the wine bottle to test the diameter of the cork from time to time.
After I unscrewed the cork from the drill and screw I rubbed the top of the cork against the sandpaper to smooth out and round out the edges of the top of the cork.
Mix up the epoxy as directed and cover the stem of the knob with it.  Screw the knob into the cork and let it sit a full 24 hours before using.
This video shows how I made the video from start to finish…(although I fast forwarded through the sanding process)

Lynn @ Nourish and Nestle

• Bernie

Lynn! I have had a dremel for at least 20 years! I love it!!! I have NEVER seen this work station before! I have often said I needed a drill press, but couldn't justify buying a huge piece of equipment like that.... Guess what I'm asking for for Mother's day?????!!!! 😀😀 also! I love this cork screw idea! Very perfect gift for the wine lovers in our lives! Love how you could personalize them with a variety of knobs!! Thank you so much for sharing this great idea! ❤❤

• Lynn @ Nourish and Nestle

Oh Bernie, you are so very welcome! Like you, I was thrilled when I realize that I could use my dremel as a drill press!

Happy wine-corking making my friend!

Hugs, Lynn