Carpet runner for stairs

+5
We have a wooden staircase which is very slippery, and now our older dog is having trouble navigating them, so it's time we do something! I love that the wood is so easy to clean, and having wood/vinyl through the entire house, I don't have to vacuum. The stairs are also the first thing one sees as they come in the house, so would like something that looks nice. But..safety is the most important thing! So, what's out there that's safe, looks good and easy to maintain that can be used on stairs?!! Thanks!

• Kor24924493 Kor24924493 on Nov 02, 2017
    having to redue the stairs because of a dog--are you kidding? keep the dog downstairs. The claws will scratch the wood. something thats safe,looks good,and easy to maintain--almost impossible.
    • Lynn Lynn on Nov 02, 2017
      Korky, you're obviously not a dog lover, lol! She's our baby, so she goes where we go! But, she's not the main concern. We've all had our spills going down too fast, and as we get older, we're realizing we need something to alleviate some of the slipperiness for everyone involved.
  • Suzette Suzette on Nov 02, 2017

Good luck!
  • Lynn Lynn on Nov 02, 2017
    Thanks for the links. I've looked at most ideas on line, but Id love to know if someone has something in their own home that works. I've tried one brand of the individual stair carpet runners, but it wasn't 'self' adhering as they claimed. I did read where someone just used a magic eraser eraser to 'sand' the stairs a bit and they said it worked, so I'll grab one of those to see if that offers at least a quick fix until I find something! Thanks again for the suggestions!
  • William William on Nov 03, 2017
    Yes try sanding with Magic Eraser. Has seemed to work for some people. Another choice would be an anti slip spray. It has some fine grit in it that makes it anti slip. Safe even when barefoot. Open doors and windows. The odor is terrible and does last for at least one day. But it works.

• Lynn Lynn on Nov 03, 2017
      Thanks, I'll add that to my list of options to check into!

• Kor24924493 Kor24924493 on Nov 03, 2017
    Sorry-no disrespect for the dog. I would put some sort of rubber material, This would give the most grip, Try to find a certain color. Black would probably go with the color of the wooden stairs.