How do I winterize ceiling a/c vents?

+4
I have square vents and need a way to seal them up for the winter. i believe they are aluminum—not steel.

• Dfm Dfm on Nov 03, 2017
    Do you have separate vents for heat and cooling?
  • Kauai Breeze Kauai Breeze on Nov 03, 2017
    I used to tape a big piece of cardboard over mine using duct tape.
  • 2dogal 2dogal on Nov 03, 2017
    You can remove the vent covers (they are screwed on) and seal them on the back side like Kauai says if they don't have a toggle switch to close the vent fins. Then reinstall.
  • Dfm Dfm on Nov 05, 2017
    if the blowers are off .....window film that you hit with a blow dryer.... usually covers windows...it works for that as well.
  • Abbigail Hunter Abbigail Hunter on Nov 05, 2017
    I used foamboard with foil on one side. Take paper and cut a pattern so you get a good fit and then cut your foamboard insert and you can take them out when you want to use them next spring. I used to do this with my fire place in the summer when I wanted to keep my cold air from escaping.
  • Dfm Dfm on Nov 05, 2017
    okay just lost what I typed....you can do a couple of things.....but I would close the damper and seal with plastic wrap...use a low tac tape . Blu or green painters tape.