How do you keep a dog from shedding so much?

+14
We rescued a small white dog , an couple spots. She is a Mountain Fest. We feed her grain-free food, because she had dry skin an give her fish oil. But she sheds alot..
q how do you keep a dog from shedding so much
  • Ann Cherkas Halstead Ann Cherkas Halstead on Nov 03, 2017
    there is a dog shampoo and conditioner for shedding dogs, but nothing keeps it all away.

• Van Maiato Van Maiato on Nov 03, 2017
    Sadly some dogs are prone to a lot of shedding. I put a doggie t shirt on mine and it helps a little. Still, she needs to be brushed every day, so excess fur stays on the brush and not on the floor. It`s a commitment, but you gotta love them. Good luck. She`s cute.

• 27488865 27488865 on Nov 03, 2017
    Dogs shed and usually more at the start of winter and summer. Brush daily with a soft brush, continue feeding fish oil, a chamois cloth often helps as well.

• Johnavallance82 Johnavallance82 on Nov 03, 2017
    Get her used to being Vac. every day

• I vacuum my Pyrenees and two shepherds every other day...

• Kba27697237 Kba27697237 on Nov 03, 2017
    I suspect this dog has a sketchy background when it comes to nutrition because it was a rescue. It may take a year to get her straightened out nutritionally. Try a vet recomended vitamin supplement. It takes months to see the impact of food additives - keep with the fish oil. Some breeds naturally shed more. Brush her daily. When you bathe her use an oatmeal based shampoo and conditioner specifically for dogs. Human products strip the natural oils in dogs. Be sure to rinse well. I have used a light bath oil (2 capfuls) mixed in warm water for the final rinse - it soothes the skin.
    Be patient - it takes time to correct the damage of neglect. I rescued a starving abandoned horse - it took over a year to get her back to "normal".

on a rescue dog? Good idea - but no! Unless the dog obviously is attracted to vacuuming.

• Pvc28159623 Pvc28159623 on Nov 05, 2017
    2 of our 3 dogs love to be vacuumed. Takes me twice as long to vacuum my house because of those 2, but it is a never-ending battle with the hair. To make matters worse, we have dark wood floors and a yellow lab. Furminator makes a vacuum attachment. It gets mixed reviews, but I may give it a try. Good luck.

• Pascale Nguyen Pascale Nguyen on Nov 05, 2017
    We rescued a white dog as well. Brush her everyday, keep giving her the fish oil and feed her the same dog food. Make sure you ask the vet for advice on what to feed her. Bathe her less in the winter because it will dry up her skin.

• See 1 previous
    • Dee Dee on Nov 08, 2017
      My dog is 62 lbs. and I give her 1000mgs. squirted on her food every day

• Barb Barb on Nov 05, 2017
    It’s shedding season and that bred tends to shed a lot.

• Kim Kim on Nov 05, 2017
    I take my dog outside and brush her out there about 10 minutes a day -- she loves the attention and it helps, though does not solve, the shedding problem.

• Gd123out Gd123out on Nov 05, 2017
    I have a big dog white & black collie/ozzie. He sheds a lot so I give him about 6 to 8 tablespoons of Dr. Maggie oil with his food. It helps a lot with dry skin and shedding. I don't think anything stops shedding completely but it sure lessens it. I buy Dr. Maggie at Pet Value in Canada.

My dog weighs 25lbs and the vet said to give it about 3 squirts but if you read on the label of the bottle it will tell you.

• Snapoutofit Snapoutofit on Nov 05, 2017
    Talk to a vet.

• Michele Pappagallo Michele Pappagallo on Nov 06, 2017
    We brush our two dogs every single day. It has made such a difference in the amount of hair that gets shed around our house.