Asked on Nov 3, 2017

How do you keep a dog from shedding so much?

Amber WillisMichele PappagalloSnapoutofit
+15

We rescued a small white dog , an couple spots. She is a Mountain Fest. We feed her grain-free food, because she had dry skin an give her fish oil. But she sheds alot..
  • Ann Cherkas Halstead

there is a dog shampoo and conditioner for shedding dogs, but nothing keeps it all away.
  • Van Maiato

Sadly some dogs are prone to a lot of shedding. I put a doggie t shirt on mine and it helps a little. Still, she needs to be brushed every day, so excess fur stays on the brush and not on the floor. It`s a commitment, but you gotta love them. Good luck. She`s cute.
  • J Warner

Dogs shed and usually more at the start of winter and summer. Brush daily with a soft brush, continue feeding fish oil, a chamois cloth often helps as well.
  • Johnavallance82

Get her used to being Vac. every day
  • I vacuum my Pyrenees and two shepherds every other day...
  • Kba27697237

I suspect this dog has a sketchy background when it comes to nutrition because it was a rescue. It may take a year to get her straightened out nutritionally. Try a vet recomended vitamin supplement. It takes months to see the impact of food additives - keep with the fish oil. Some breeds naturally shed more. Brush her daily. When you bathe her use an oatmeal based shampoo and conditioner specifically for dogs. Human products strip the natural oils in dogs. Be sure to rinse well. I have used a light bath oil (2 capfuls) mixed in warm water for the final rinse - it soothes the skin.
    Be patient - it takes time to correct the damage of neglect. I rescued a starving abandoned horse - it took over a year to get her back to "normal".
  • Kba27697237

on a rescue dog? Good idea - but no! Unless the dog obviously is attracted to vacuuming.
  • Pvc28159623

2 of our 3 dogs love to be vacuumed. Takes me twice as long to vacuum my house because of those 2, but it is a never-ending battle with the hair. To make matters worse, we have dark wood floors and a yellow lab. Furminator makes a vacuum attachment. It gets mixed reviews, but I may give it a try. Good luck.

• Pascale Nguyen

We rescued a white dog as well. Brush her everyday, keep giving her the fish oil and feed her the same dog food. Make sure you ask the vet for advice on what to feed her. Bathe her less in the winter because it will dry up her skin.
  • Barb

It’s shedding season and that bred tends to shed a lot.
  • Kim

I take my dog outside and brush her out there about 10 minutes a day -- she loves the attention and it helps, though does not solve, the shedding problem.
  • Gd123out

I have a big dog white & black collie/ozzie. He sheds a lot so I give him about 6 to 8 tablespoons of Dr. Maggie oil with his food. It helps a lot with dry skin and shedding. I don't think anything stops shedding completely but it sure lessens it. I buy Dr. Maggie at Pet Value in Canada.
  • Pascale Nguyen

My dog weighs 25lbs and the vet said to give it about 3 squirts but if you read on the label of the bottle it will tell you.
  • Snapoutofit

Talk to a vet.

• Michele Pappagallo

We brush our two dogs every single day. It has made such a difference in the amount of hair that gets shed around our house.
  • Amber Willis

Dog shedding season.

Be sure to brush regularly!