What is the best way to clean carpets, or have them cleaned?

+9
  • Jewellmartin Jewellmartin on Nov 03, 2017
    i have no problem with hiring to have them cleaned, but be clear on the price. Most services charge extra for stains or difficult stains. Many don’t move furniture (and there may only be one person.) Some use wet cleaners which need to dry completely before they are walked on—don’t use them the day of an event. Others use a dry cleaner, which is usually a powder and heavy-duty vacuum. Most charge extra if you have pets. Some charge a service charge or delivery fee just for showing up. I’m sure there are other variations and charges. Just be clear what you expect and what you are promised. 😇🍁
  • Suzette Suzette on Nov 03, 2017

I can't be exposed to chemicals, so I steam clean.

Good luck!
  • Only because I have a bunch of pets and resulting fur no matter how much I brush them, (one dog is molting in tufts), and vacuum daily, I have a service come every 3 months. Steam clean service and we use vinegar as I do not want to use chemicals with the pets. Even when I didn't have a house full of pets, I still had the carpets cleaned every 6 months. And I do have a home carpet cleaner for in between professional visits. I also live in a hot dusty area, you should see what comes out of my carpets, yuck. When the old pets pass, I want hardwood and vinyl! Easier to keep clean.

• Dfm Dfm on Nov 03, 2017
    If available in your area I like steam cleaning. It’s hot enough to kill mites, lice, other bugs. I’ve used professional machines, rented carpet shampooing machines....home style shampoo er’s...each has good traites...but every once in a while steam.
  • Linda Linda on Nov 04, 2017
    Steam cleaning is the best I have found, either professional or do it yourself.
    If you do use a carpet shampoo you have to rinse the carpet really well or soap residue will attract dirt and your carpets will get dirty a lot faster.
  • Brenda Smith Brenda Smith on Nov 04, 2017
    Host dry cleaning your carpets is best. Continuous wetting the seams of carpet will cause them to separate,

• Sylvia Sylvia on Nov 04, 2017
    I use baking soda n sprinkled on carpets to remove odor (because of pets).
    Let it remain on the carpet for approx. 1 hour before you vacuum it off.
  • Jesser Jesser on Nov 04, 2017
    Professional hot water extraction
  • Castrang17 Castrang17 on Nov 04, 2017
    Either rent a carpet cleaning machine (do not oversoak and make sure water is fully extracted) or call a professional carpet service. Deep cleaning is a must, every now and then, then surface clean in between your deep cleaning.
  • Ohiorn Ohiorn on Nov 04, 2017
    Agree with Jesser. If too much cleaning solution is used it can leave residue on the carpeting , which will attract dirt. If too much water is used that carpet will not dry as quickly as it should, and you can get a musty smell.
  • Judith Judith on Nov 06, 2017
    Bissell carpet cleaner - one of the best investments I made . I use it as often as needed or as often as I feel like making the effort. Cleaned area carpet this morning before leaving for work. Use chemicals or don't - it still pulls up grit and pet hair. Best part - machine easily comes apart for cleaning so you are using a clean machine with clean water for each job. There are two separate water containers - one for the clean water that goes on carpet, one for the dirty water drawn up from the carpet.