Maple tree fungus, is There a treatment,

+10
Answered
Maple tree fungus, is There a treatment,
q maple tree fungus is there a treatment
What is this
  12 answers
  • Linda Sikut Linda Sikut on Nov 04, 2017
    Hi Sandy,

    This may be Heart Rot but I don't know for sure. I just followed pictures that looked like your tree. If it's Heart Rot it's not good news. I'm hoping I'm wrong and someone will come along and say - "Oh, it's nothing. Don't worry about it".

    Here's the article I read:

    If you think that's what it is, I'd suggest calling in a professional to be sure and to figure out what to do with your tree.



  • Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on Nov 04, 2017
    Use a systemic fungus control
  • Ohio Sandie Ohio Sandie on Nov 05, 2017
    I get this type of shelf fungi somewhere in my wooded yard every year. I spray it with bleach water or bath / shower cleaner. Doesn't seem to be harmful to the trees.

  • Bon11121019 Bon11121019 on Nov 05, 2017
    Oyster mushrooms ..... delicious !!!!
    • Bklyn Cowgirl Bklyn Cowgirl on Nov 06, 2017
      It may or may not be. Most importantly, do not, I repeat, do NOT eat any mushroom/fungus unless you're 150% sure of what type it is. There are as many or more poisonous types than there are edible. If you're not sure, LEAVE IT BE. Stomach cramps to death await foolish, unknowledgeable people who pick wild mushrooms. Your call.
  • Bonnie Bonnie on Nov 05, 2017
    Definitely don't eat them, as some bracket fungi (also known as shelf fungi) are poisonous! Treating trees with fungicide doesn't really solve the problem. You might kill the part you see but there's fungus growing on the inside, feeding off of a weakened and dying tree interior. A systemic fungicide won't work because it needs healthy live tree tissue to get to the site of fungal growth. Unfortunately there isn't much you can do for this problem, and the tree will eventually need to be cut down before it falls.
  • JAN JAN on Nov 05, 2017
    My neighbor had these and it created a beautiful water fall effect HOWEVER, one Sunday we had a micro burst and the huge tree came crashind down onto my driveway. The inside of this old beauty was totally rotten, so I would recommend that this tree be removed and save your self any possible property damage.
  • Steven Steven on Nov 05, 2017
    Treat the maple tree with a fungicidal or bacterial that correlates with the infection. Speak with a horticultural or nursery specialist for assistance in identifying the exact disease and required chemical treatment. Take a list of the identified symptoms to discuss during the assessment. Apply the chemical treatments on dry, cool days when no rain is expected and when temperatures are below 85 degrees F.
  • Thr29650559 Thr29650559 on Nov 05, 2017
    I agree, the bracket fungus is feeding off of dead plant tissue from inside the tree. I suspect it is going to die before long (a few years, maybe?) I would not put any chemical fungicides or herbicides on it as it will do no good - the tree will still die - and will do great harm to the microscopic-to-macroscopic organisms in your yard - like birds and creatures you don't know about but which contribute to the health of your yard.

    So you're getting contradictory advice from us all, so you probably do want to contact your county extension office and see what they have to say. Good luck!
  • Hope Hope on Nov 07, 2017
    Hi Sandy. I hope you don't just LOVE that tree because, the news is not good. We have a lot of maple trees on our property and, (unfortunately) when you see the fungus growing on the tree, it is a sure sign that the tree is definitely declining. When we cut one (with fungus/mushrooms growing on it) for firewood, it is usually completely dead or close to it and parts of the inside heart/core of the tree is rotten and, in some cases, infested with large black ants.

    If the tree is in an area where it can fall on a building or into the street, you might want to start getting estimates from a 'tree guy' for removal ('cause it isn't cheap). If it's in an area where you can cut it down yourself without damaging your property or a neighbors...fire up the ol' chainsaw. : )

    Good Luck!
  • 861650 861650 on Nov 10, 2017
    Thanks for all the above info! Had no idea that "it" was a fungus from a dying tree. Trees take many years to grow and is always sad when one has to come down. I have watched people trim their trees that guarantees rot and damage so many times it is shameful.
  • Ellis Ellis on Nov 10, 2017
    I've been there, too. When the maple tree in my yard was cut down because it was declining, the whole interior was eaten up by termites, ants, etc. The outside of the trunk only had a few little bits of fungus, but inside it was a wreck. You might want to look into this before winter, if the tree threatens anything.
  • Cindy Kemnitz Cindy Kemnitz on Nov 20, 2017
    Call your county agriculture. Ours let you send in pictures & tells you exactly what it is & what to use