Sammy
Sammy
  • Dearborn, MI

DIY Farmhouse Bread Tin Box

$10

When we searched for bread storage online, we immediately fell in love with the charm of those rustic farmhouse bread tins. Of course it would have been easy to click purchase and have one delivered straight to our doorstep for $45 but where’s the fun in that? Instead we took our time getting ideas until we came up with an easy DIY bread box. Not only is it way cheaper than any bread tin you’ll find in store but it’s super easy to make and customizable too. For the base of this project, we used the Beromlig from IKEA which came with two sizes for $8.99 and we used the larger one to make the bread tin box . This is a perfect functional and decorative kitchen item and makes a wonderful house-warming gift too :)
diy farmhouse bread tin box
First I purchased and gathered all my supplies. Then I wiped down the tin with a damp cloth and let it dry thoroughly.
diy farmhouse bread tin box
You can go with any color for the text but I wanted the classic look so I went with black.
diy farmhouse bread tin box
Using washi tape, I secured the stencils onto the tin spelling out "bread"
diy farmhouse bread tin box
Lastly, I filled in the stencils with sharpie and removed the stencils after the ink had dried. At first I tried using acrylic paint and it just peeled off. While the sharpie has a worn out, chippy look now ( almost a year out of the project) it is still readable. Just like that you have a Farmhouse style bread box for a medium-sized loaf of bread :)
Sammy